Mull of the Cool Bens

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Jasonp, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Jasonp

Jasonp Member

Here's one for our Scottish members.
    I'm playing the flugel solo 'Mull of the Cool Bens' as part of a recital.
    Can anyone tell me where it origionates from, what it means etc...any info about the piece would be a great help. :tup

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Mull of the Cool Bens
    Scottish
    Cool Bens
    piece
    Mull
  3. Anonymous_user

Anonymous_user New Member

Hi there

www.geocities.com/celticlyricscorner/tannas/air.htm

The english translation would suggest that the love of his/her life is resident on the Isle of Mull. The cool bens will be the mountains on Mull.

Hope this helps. A number of Adrian Drover's similar arrangements are available on an LP Tartan Brass from 19canteen (I have a copy). Some very fine arrangements of traditional scots songs.

Cheers

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

erm,... wrong song! ;) The literal Gaelic translation is Muile nam Fuar-Bheann Mòr and I found that means "Mull Of The High Mountains". Mull in Scots can mean a headland or peninsula or conversely top or summit, so it must mean something like 'The Top (or View) Of The Cool High Mountains' (Adrian Drover's arrangement omits 'high' that is usually in the title). There is only one mountain on The Isle Of Mull that is classified as a Ben (or Munro, i.e., over 3000 feet high) and that is Ben More. I think it is just a general description of a view. Pretty clear-cut, eh? (or rather not :oops: ).

5. Owen S

Owen S Member

I'm not sure the title has anything to do with the Isle of Mull. Your first few sentences make more sense.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Nor do I. I only said that The Isle Of Mull has one Ben whereas the title of the song mentions more than one!

7. Owen S

Owen S Member

Sorry, I obviously misunderstood that minor detail. :D

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Nae probs! :cool: I tried to source the origin of the melody/song but couldn't find anything!

9. Jasonp

Jasonp Member

Thanks guys, you've been a great help :tup