Mr Sparke's new test-piece

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Anno Draconis, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Sparke
    I
    English
    Alleluias
    Lowry
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... quote from 4BR

"Entitled Dances & Alleluias the music is formed in a single movement and is timed to last 14 minutes. As is usual from Philip Sparke, there will be plenty of fireworks, but Philip comments that ‘it will be as much a test of delicacy as brawn’. Given recent comments in the band press about the ability of modern day bands to play at pp, Dances & Alleluias is likely to provide a demanding test."

- does this possibly mean a change in direction in harmonic or textural style or exposure to soloists, ensembles and tutti band in dynamic/pitch ranges that are out of the normal comfort zone?

4. Steve

Steve Active Member

It means it got quiet bits, yes :D

5. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Let's hope it's as good as the quiet bit in The Year of the Dragon
    One of the most beautiful moments in brass band music imho... (and often played much too loud!)

6. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Oh yeah I agree with that...the recording of Fodens (oh OK Britannia B.S if you will) I have is stunning - they really go for it throughout, but if I was being mega critical I wish they'd played the ppp section of the 2nd movement quieter. It seems to be a very comfortable volume to me.

7. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

In their performance of it from the 1992 Europeans you couldn't ask for it quieter, especially live!

8. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Euro's '92 is a fantastic recording, but have to say I think the Desford recording from the Euro's 86 is the best, creme de le creme or whatever they say! Absolutely fantastic piece, middle movement is one of the most beautiful parts of a piece i've ever heard- always liked Philip's music, so i'm looking forward to hearing his new work asap after the contest (as I don't think I can make it)! :(