Mr Jums and other cats

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by timbloke, Jun 26, 2006.

1. timbloke

timbloke Member

Maybe this should appear within the thread "there's no place like moan" as it is a little moan. Maybe you'll think I'm being pedantic - I apologise, but I get wound up sometimes.

Yesterday at the Staveley Contest, which I totally enjoyed, I heard one of the classic brass band introduction errors. And decided I would start a campaign to educate conductors. The MD of one band, who played a very enjoyable programme, introduced one peice describing it as being from "one of the longest running West End musicals in its 25th year, by one of the greatest composers of musicals. The musical being Cats, the peice about a cat called Mr Jums."

I cringed! How many times have I heard conductors announce Mr Jums as being by Andrew Lloyd Webber and/or being taken from Cats? Well, lots actually.

It isn't.

So here starts my campaign. If your band is playing Mr Jums, one of my fav peices, and your MD announces it as being from Cats, or by ALW, please take some time to correct Him/Her. Mr Jums is taken from a suite called 3 Brass Cats by Chris Hazell (hence his name appearing at the top of the page). The other Cats are Black Sam and Borage. An additional 4th Cat "Kraken" was added later. As far as I am aware the Brass Cats have no relation (other than both being feline) to Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T. S. Eliot, which is the basis for the musical.

If I was Mr Hazell, I'd be a little offended that my compositions were not being credited to me. I also suggest you suggest he gets hold of the other Brass Cats, which are great peices for a small ensemble.

2. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

Don't 'Pussy' - foot around the suject Tim!

(Sorry i couldn't resist it :biggrin: )

3. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Yes you can tell he's feline upset about this

4. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

I think he has a purrrrrfect reason to upset myself maybe as a movement we can kraken the whip on MD's making the same mistake

5. timbloke

timbloke Member

Ow PUSS OFF you lot. this is impawtent to me.

6. welshraz

welshraz Member

Oh, come on miaow, everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it is a little fur fetched.

I thank you.

7. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

and if Mr Hazell gets more mentions then he'll get more performing rights money for his kitty.

8. timbloke

timbloke Member

Despite what you lot all say.. 8 out of 10 conductors get it wrong.... (don't actually know if this is true but it sounds good).

9. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

We're not saying much now though - I think the cat must have got our tongues.

10. welshraz

welshraz Member

8 out of 10 conductors prefer it

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Jums
    Hazell
    Brass Cats
    Book of Practical Cats
    Staveley Contest
  12. GingerMaestro

Do you think we can all claw this back on topic before tim coughs up another fur ball or before the MODS put the thread in the litter tray

13. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

Maybe we should paws this nonsense and let Tim tell tell us his tail of woe. We can't have him getting his whiskers in a twist!

Oh stop it you're killing me!!:p ha ha ha ha

14. GingerMaestro

ear ear lets not fur ..ther this any more and let him pur...sue his mission before it he take cat astrofic measures to get his point accross

15. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Fur enough ;)

16. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

Fur Tiddles sake - the whole conversation is catastrophic!

17. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

Spay on topic please.

18. GingerMaestro

eh Tim's been a bit quiet since this all started has the cat got your tongue Tim

19. Di

Di Active Member

I was about to collar you all for being off topic, but I'll just high-tail it out of here instead.

PS. our conductor gets it right. And always tell the tale about the stray little moggies that inspired the pieces. ;)

20. Dave 2nd2nd Cornet

Dave 2nd2nd Cornet Active Member

Me thinks that it has always been introduced at our concerts in this way, you learn something new every day. Must get Mr. Jums in our programme again (not seen him for a while) might just be able to get one over on the MD, maybe not, that could be CATastrophic. Many thanks to Timbloke for educating us all!:clap: :clap:

21. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

And what about the rest of us for entertaining you with wit, humour and nonsense??:tongue:

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Jums
    Hazell
    Brass Cats
    Book of Practical Cats
    Staveley Contest