Mr Arban Killed my Music Stand

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Flat Eric, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Flat Eric

Flat Eric New Member

I was delighted this morning when the postie delivered my package. I removed the cardboard cover and set Mr Arban upon my music stand along with 120 Hymns for Brass Band and several loose sheets of music. I hurriedly put away my gardening tools and returned to my music practice corner. I found Mr Arban sat on the floor on top of the hymn book and loose sheets, and the music stand bowed down towards him.

I decided that Mr Arban wasn't comfortable sharing space with these diminutive tunes, so I straightened up the music stand and set the elderly gentleman in pride of place. I departed for a while to make coffee, returning to find Mr Arban once again sat on the floor with the stand bowed towards him even lower than before.

I presumed that Mr Arban thought he deserved a little more attention, so I straightened the music stand once more and carefully balanced the pages open at "syncopation". Several exercises went well and were quickly ticked off, but it wasn't long before he had the better of me.

I made Mr Arban comfortable once again at "scales & arpeggios". We had fun for a while, then he started insisting on more and more flats and sharps. Tempers soon frayed and I walked away in frustration.

I returned an hour later to find Mr Arban once again sat on the floor. The music stand stood there headless, totally decapitated and a pitiful sight. I picked up the fallen maestro and placed him on my desk; what is this monster I have invited into my home, what is this weighty tome that destroys both man and music stand.

I sit here in the cinders of my own musical folly. My finger draws in the dust on the floor, I etch major keys with up to three flats. I make a wish for my fairy god mother to appear and utter those magic words, "You shall go to the Carnival of Venice!"

Jack E, MoominDave and PeterBale like this.
  2. Flat Eric

Flat Eric New Member

Just ordered a new conductors stand! :)

3. Raymond Morris

Raymond Morris New Member

Whereas sturdy music stands cost about $60 I bought a good sturdy stand from ALDI for only $20. They used to come on sale each February at ALDI.

Flat Eric likes this.
  4. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

WICKED, Eric!!
    :D

5. Flat Eric

Flat Eric New Member

6. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

I know the feeling - my cheap music stand (the cheapest one Thomann's sold a few years ago) flexes quite a bit with the Arban on it, to the point that I'll lean it up against the wall (or just photocopy the page/s I want and play from the copies instead).

7. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

I dunno why, Eric, but when I tried to view this link, I got an error message saying I wasn't allowed to view images in this gallery.
    ???

But, if all else fails, may I suggest one of these?

upload_2018-8-29_19-21-44.png

That should cope, nicely . . .
    :)

Flat Eric likes this.
  8. Flat Eric

Flat Eric New Member

Sorry about that Jack, my media file was set to me only, I've changed it to members only so you should be able to see the pics now. Please let me know if they're still not visible.

9. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

Ha!! We have ignition, Eric - yes, that shows up straight away, no problem!

And I must say, that's a very sturdy looking stand you have there; may I ask what make it is? The cheapo one I have has a nasty habit of letting my tutorial books slide onto the floor if a fly does a rather heavy six-point landing on it :mad:

With best regards,

Jack

10. Flat Eric

Flat Eric New Member

It's a Rocket Heavy Duty Orchestral Music Stand from Norman Music

11. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

Thank you, Eric :) - I'll check it out.

12. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I use a Jazz Stand, from Rat Stands. They are not cheap, and in order to make them portable it's necessary to buy a carry-case.

However, I cannot recommend them highly enough. And they are easily capable of holding an Arban without flinching …

And they are also ideally suited for use as a conductor's stand for outdoor gigs, together with the clip-on Perspex music holder ...

13. Raymond Morris

Hopefully within our lifetimes we will see a general movement from paper sheet music to display devices. Some musicians (especially pianists) are doing this now. Excellent programs are available at low cost for finding and displaying a particular instrumental part within a particular title and dual pedals turn the pages forward or backward. However the stampede to paperless music will not occur until battery-operated devices that can display two full-size pages that are legible outdoors in sunlight become available at an affordable price. Gvido and PadMu dual folding tablets can display two full-size pages but they are very expensive. The Samsung 18.4 inch tablet was capable of displaying two slightly reduced pages but it appears to have been taken off the market. I know of no other tablets that can display two pages of music at a reasonable size. Laptops and notepads with large screens are too expensive to consider and only those with detachable keyboards or keyboards that fold behind the screen would fit on a music stand. A “D.S.” or a “To Coda” can be troublesome on a display device when a jump of more than one page is involved but normal page turns pose no problems where two pages are visible.

Copyright rules will need to be changed to prevent the criminalization of band librarians who scan legally acquired sheet music into PDF format for electronic display.

Slider1 likes this.
  14. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

That's an interesting thought, Raymond, but it does occur to me that players would need to be able to add notes, or slight modifications quickly and easily during rehearsals. I've noticed when sitting in watching main band rehearsals that there's not a piece goes by without two or three of the players adding a note, reminder, or mod to the written arrangement on the instructions of the MD.

Re. the DS, to Coda, etc; I should think once the necessary hardware has been developed, that could be done by means of a simple cut and paste job. After all, if the device can handle a page turn, then it doesn't matter if the repeats, DS, second time bars and Codas make it end up six pages long on the device, as compared to a single sheet on paper, the software will be able to manage.

But, with the advances in CPUs, RAM and flash drives, those and the software wouldn't pose any particular problems; as you say, the real tough nuts to crack will be the cost of developing the necessary displays with a reasonable selling price, and finding a way through the minefield of copyright protection which is fair to bands, composers and arrangers.

15. Raymond Morris

The leading music display programs such as Mobile Sheets allow you to write in alterations using a special pen. You can also program it to automatically skip back or forward to a specific page but it would be a horrendous task doing this for a library of 1000 band arrangements.

Jack E likes this.
  16. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

Mine arrived today, Eric - they should have called it 'The Dreadnought Stand'! It makes the one I've been using look like a few bits of bent tin put together by a small child. And I'm really taken with the rubber-tipped sprung music clips. Classy! :) Somebody put a lot of thought into this design.

Flat Eric likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice