MP's vote Total Smoking Ban

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Steve, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Steve

Steve Active Member

AAAAAaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :mad:
  2. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

whats wrong with that?

If people want to smoke in their own homes i dont mind that, but to smoke in public is just inconsiderate - how often are we told of the dangers of inhaling other smoke?
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

4. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Even on like private clubs?
  5. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

thats how it looks at the moment
  6. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

That's stupid.
    I dont think they should ban it.
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

"But tonight 10 MPs, led by Mr Barron, tabled an amendment closing that loophole and demanding no exemptions to a ban." (from article 10/02).

- hope there are plenty snacks to sell!
  8. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

does that mean it has been? Sorry its cold outside and my brains frozen.
  9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

"MPs are set to vote next Tuesday 14 February at the Report Stage and Third Reading of the Health Bill."

"Labour MPs will have a free vote at the Report Stage of the Health Bill to get rid of the exemptions for pubs that don't serve food and private members' clubs."
  10. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

If not, it should be. How would you like to be a server at a private club forced to inhale someone else's smoke?

In the US, approximately 3000 die each year from cancers and other diseases caused by secondhand smoke.
  11. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Here's the BBC Story
  12. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Three points:

1. If the government were truly concerned about the effects of smoking on health, it would stop tinkering with bans in public places - the only answer is to make the importation, possession, sale and use of tobacco in the UK illegal. Why doesn't it? In short, the 9.5 billion quid it rakes in by taxing tobacco, out of all proportion to the 2 billion the NHS spends on treating tobacco-related disease. (Source - today's Independent). Sheer, ******, nauseating hypocrisy, on the part of the current, and all previous governments.

2. The vote tonight was carried with the aid of MP's representing constituencies in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, whose constituents are not affected by the result of this and many other votes. The fact that these three regions of the UK have already voted to ban tobacco in similar circumstances is irrelevant - the English are the victims of outrageously unfair treatment, and it's a damning inditement that they are not up in arms about it. If you're a student in England saddled with tuition fees, remember - the bill was passed only because Scottish MP's voted for them, in the safe knowledge that their constituents - on whose votes they depend - would never have to pay them.

3. On Channel 4 News tonight, we were presented by the grotesque reality of Working Mens Clubs facing loss of income, closure, or the unpalatable option of defying the law as a result of this vote. This fate imposed upon them by the LABOUR party - the party set up to defend the rights of working men. Keir Hardie will be turning in his grave. If you don't know who he is, look him up in a book.

Pass the sick bag, Alice.

Phew. And I don't even smoke.
  13. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: I agree with the rest aswell but would get shouted at for bandwidth issues if I quoted it all. Couldn't agree more in fact. As you may or may not have gathered, I'm a smoker. There should be measures in place whereby as part of the job description of someone applying to work in a pub/club, working in a potentially smoky environment is a pre-requisite. If you don't like the job description/environment you're going to be working in, don't apply for the job in the first place. You're not going to apply for a job as a mechanic if you don't like getting your hands dirty. And before anyone says that getting your hands dirty is not likely to cause cancer in the way that smoking is alleged to - you're absolutely right. However if we changed mechanic to someone who worked in a nuclear facility or lived nearby perhaps and changed getting hands dirty to exposure to radioactive materials, then you can see the parallels.

'Nuff said

14. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Total smoking ban???

About time!!!
  15. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Well, I'm in two minds.

I am and have always been a fervant non smoker and anti smoker.

That said, I see no reason why private clubs have been included. "Barman job in private club - open to smokers only." is an easy waya round any issues.

Fulham's Thursday night home was featured on Channel 4's bulletin tonight.

If the legion (and the bar next door that subsidises the legion) goes out of business because of this vote, it will be wrong on a number of levels.
    1. Successive Governments since the war have signed up to look after the welfare and concerns of War veterans.
    2. Their service and sacrifices allowed people to have the right to be independent, and within reason, do what they liked. And as a side note
    3. Fulham could lose their home over this.
    It would have been far more sensible to give healthy tax breaks to pub chains that ran no smoking pubs.

It is, I think, a mistake, and I expect to see it challenged.
  16. HANNAH

HANNAH Member

DITTO DITTO DITTO!!!!!! Not a happy bunny!
  17. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

HI James

In the main I agree with all of your comments except that is - for this point #2.

Now perhaps, you will appreciate how we in Wales and Scotland have felt for many, many years, and why many of us wanted devolution and/or self government. We have suffered the consequences and indignity of English MP's voting on issues that are of no concern to them, but are of the utmost importance for us - for many years - and at one time had a totall and utter English prat of a twit as our g'vnor who knew nothing of Wales, or of Welsh life - John Redwood.

Sorry.... friad to say that the boot is on the other foot now.
  18. katej

katej Member

HMMMMM what next? Are we going to see a blanket ban on alcohol being served in pups and private clubs? After all this is also a big killer in this country, far more so than cigarettes. How many people have 1 or 2 drinks and then drive home without any regard for the other people on the road, path etc? Not to mention all tohse who die of alcohol related conditions.

I am being discriminated against for being a smoker now. NOT Fair!

19. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Well said that man. So give us what we want, an independent Scotland, oh and we'll keep OUR oil revenues too please. Maybe the Government in Westminster will have to make up the shortfall in oil revenues by upping the tax on ciggies. Anyway, I agree with what John said previously and would refer you to the introduction of the poll tax.

Back on topic. I am totally in agreement with a ban on smoking. The experience in Ireland is that it has not had an huge effect on the income of pubs, clubs and restaurants. Indeed many people have said that a night out in Dublin is now even more enjoyable. The benefits to health will not be seen for many years, perhaps a generation, but that does not make them any less real. As a parent I am pleased that my son has a good chance of growing up in a smoke free Scotland. I am counting the days until march 26th when a ban is introduced in Scotland.

I would have preferred to have seen them also upping duties on tobacco to discourage people from smoking at all. Also they should have increased the penalties on retailers who are caught selling tobacco to underage people.
  20. Bigenglandfan

Bigenglandfan Member

Short and to the point, and seconded by me