mp3 downloads from band website or itunes?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by steve_r, Jul 29, 2007.

1. steve_r

steve_r Member

Has anyone looked into selling mp3 downloads from their website or itunes?

I understand I can buy a licence from PRS and then sell downloads from our site, but has anyone looked into the alternative of selling mp3s through itunes or a similar third party site?

The recordings would not be from CDs released through a label, but would be recordings made by and sold by the band. I have heard that itunes will only deal with recording labels but can't find any info.

Thanks as usual

Steve

2. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Have a look at Rob Cumberland's site for general bits and pieces around this kind of thing - BEMUSO .

Details of the Limited Online Exploitation Licence are here.

Details of the Joint Online Licence are here.

3. steve_r

steve_r Member

Thanks I will

I looked at the LOEL and thats what we would need to do it ourselves, but it mentions recording rights - presumably if no label is involved we hold these?

Steve

4. KMJ Recordings

Depends on how they're recorded and what, if any, contracts are involved.

The rights to a sound recording belong to the people who've made it unless specifically assigned otherwise in the contract. Essentially, what this means is that if the recording has been made by a someone else you need their explicit permission to use it in this way.

(Don't presume that you hold the rights if someone else has recorded the material for you - some CDs that I do are released under the KMJ Recordings banner and others are released by the Bands under their own catalogue numbers - however, I own the copyright in all the sound recordings that are made, but I essentially allow the Bands to use them as they wish....other Companies may charge for alternative distribution agreements or may even refuse permission.)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2007
  5. KMJ Recordings

More stuff to read here.