mp3 database software

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Farmer Giles, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

hi all

i have a large amount of mp3 files sat on my hard drive. trouble is, i can't remember where half of them are ! (must be getting old !)

does anyone know of an mp3 catalogue program that will search my drives for the files and let me save the search ?

thanks all

chris

2. rutty

rutty Active Member

http://www.apple.com/itunes/

I think that'll automatically scan your hard drive and create a library of music for you ;)

3. dyl

dyl Active Member

Sure does!

4. NeilW

NeilW Member

TDT (Tag Database Tool) will create you a structure of directories in almost any format you want and also M3U playlists, compatilble with Winamp.

http://tdt.sourceforge.net/tdt.htm

MUCH quicker than iTunes which is very iPod specific and I'm sure fine for its purpose - I did try it out and have now deleted it again..

Really depends what you want to use to play the tunes...

Neil.

5. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Just about any player software will do this - iTunes, RealPlayer, Windows Media Player, etc, etc. You might have to look for the option (try under the Tools menu).

For example, RealPlayer not only will search the drive, but will allow you to organize everything into a library, by genre, etc.

6. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Tried out most of them but eventually settled for iTunes even before I got my iPod.

7. rutty

rutty Active Member

I've always hated Real-player, and all these other players that try to do everything. I found iTunes to be a very good jukebox, doesn't look flashy and did a decent job of archiving my tunes.

Oddly enough, now that I'm using Linux at home now i can't use any of those Windows-specific players. There are a few Linux-friendly jukeboxes though, and I find Rhythymbox very easy to use, though not as fully featured as iTunes.

8. why dont you do it the easy way, click start on your desktop, then go to search, then files and folders, then click on all flies and folders, put the file name as *.mp3 and look in C drive or whatever you have and click search, it will bring them all up, then copy and cut them and place in a new folder.

9. rutty

rutty Active Member

That really isn't the easy way ;)

Install iTunes. iTunes sorts them all out for you. Play it. :)