Mozilla Firefox

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by davidsait, Sep 16, 2004.

1. davidsait

davidsait Member

Hi folks,

A new version of Mozilla Firefox, the ultimate in web browsing technology, has been released.

A far superior alternative to Internet Explorer, this comes highly recommended, Download it now for free from
  2. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Following your advice, I downloaded Firefox but have a problem. I can find no way to put in an url for a website. On Explorer there's an address bar, which is accessible from File. Firefox says the equivalent for Explorer's "address bar" is "location bar", but clicking onto this in File does nothing. I can see no location bar anywhere. Maybe I'm being dense as I can find no help on the Firefox help site either. Does anyone on here know how to do this or what my problem might be?

There's no point in me having Firefox if I can't simply type in a web address! :-o
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hi Brian

If you go to

you should see a load of additional items you can drag onto your icon bar. Simply drag the address bar onto the page and all should be fine. I use Firefox here and i must admit it is excellent.

Let us know if you have any more trouble.
  4. Brian Bowen

Thanks, John. It seems I moved too many items onto the tool bar, consequently blanking out the address bar.
  5. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

if you customize the toolbars, you can make additional toolbars.
    That's what I did. On this additional bar, I put the location bar, the "go" button and the search bar. On the original toolbar, I put all the other buttons (back, forward, reload, stop, home, downloads, history, bookmarks, cut, copy, paste, new tab, new window and print)

For me, this is the configuration that works best...
  6. Brian Bowen

Since using Firefox, I find that on some websites some parts don't load properly, e.g. I get pieces of a jigsaw where click-on labels are shown. When I click on them it asks if I want to load a pluig-in. When I say yes, nothing happens. I've just checked by using Internet Explorer and everything works properly. Any explanations, anyone?
  7. rutty

rutty Active Member

Like all other browsers Firefox is downloaded without any of the plugins (Flash, Quicktime etc) that some sites need you to have to view content. If you've got the latest version (1.0 PR) then some of these might not be available - I tried to download the Quicktime plugin recently and it said it wasn't available. They should arrive soon, but bear in mind that although Firefox is very popular it's still "beta" - that is still in development. I think the full 1.0 release will be in a month or so.

Actually, I notice from the 1.0 PR release that the plugin downloader has been greatly improved. You should get a bar appear at the top of the page suggesting that a new plugin is required (as well the "jigsaw piece") - do you get that?
  8. Brian Bowen

Is that why "Reload" doesn't work either on tMP? I have to go to "Portal" or "Home", then back to "New Posts" to refresh my screen. So far, I've found no practical advantages in using Firefox and it's slower than IE.
  9. rutty

rutty Active Member

I'm not entirely sure why you're having those problems Brian - Reload works fine for me, and I've found Firefox to be much quicker than IE on rendering pages.

I'd be tempted to delete your current installation of Firefox and have another go at installing it - sounds like it's messed up somehow.