Moving to Reading

Discussion in 'Recruitment Corner' started by wyldehorn, Aug 8, 2007.

1. wyldehorn

wyldehorn New Member

Hi there,

I'm going to be starting at Reading university in October, and was rather hoping to find a band in that area that I can join, playing the tenor horn. I'm not going to have my own transport but if there is a way of getting to a band then that would also be helpful.

2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Pangbourne are just outside Reading and are a very friendly bunch. I'm sure they would be delighted to welcome you. Most of their players travel from Reading too, so lifts aren't usually a problem!
  3. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

Beat me to it! I'll be moving in with my boyfriend soon in the same area (a bit nearer Basingstoke) so any bands with percussion vacancies please make yourselves known!
  4. Owen S

Owen S Member

What sort of standard are you looking for?

I know of Reading Spring Gardens band, but I don't know much about them other than they're non-contesting.

St. Sebastian's Wokingham Band are fairly close to Reading and are a good bunch. They're currently 3rd section.

If you want upper sections, the closest two are probably Wantage and Sandhurst.

I don't know the bands in the 3rd and 4th sections so well, but looking at the tables here: Link Hungerford, Tadley and Pangbourne are all fairly close. I'm sure I've missed someone though.

Tinytimp, while most of these are quite near you, but I haven't listed the bands in north Hampshire as Hampshire comes under the Southwest Region, so I don't really know them.

Hope that helps.
  5. Horco

Horco Member

Hi Tinytimp.
    Have a look at this will give you a list of some bands in the West.
    Dependant on which side of Basingstoke you going too, then you maybe on the border of London Southern Counties Area also.
    Best of luck.