Moving onto EEb Bass

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by wagger-g, Apr 20, 2009.

1. wagger-g

wagger-g Member

Does anyone have any suggestions on easing the move from Euph to EEb bass? I know about the obvious one of taking up weight training but what else? Start with a small mouthpiece or dive in with one that wraps around your ears? Is lip flexibility exercising something that Tubists do? etc Any suggestions welcome.

2. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

In January I moved from Flugel/Cornet to Bass Trombone, which was also a big jump. I received loads of advice - one of the best pieces of advice I got was to use an actual Bass Trom mouthpiece, albeit not the largest available, rather than a smaller Tenor Trom mouthpiece. I looked up mouthpieces on the net, some of the sites that sell them have charts to compare different brands. I went for what seemed to be a "standard" mouthpiece, and it seems to be working for me!

I'm sure that every single brass instrumentalist benefits from lip flexibility exercising.

Good luck with the switch!

3. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

Like Kirsty said... I went for a smaller tuba mouthpiece (almost a junior one but large bore shank) so that it wasn't too much of a stretch from Euph to Eb Bass and is easy to switch back again.

4. Euphanasia

Euphanasia Member

I went for a small (DW4) mouthpiece when I went from Euph to EEb bass, and then kind of slid down to a larger model (DW2), as I was really reaching for the low notes with the smaller one.
    However, it took me a good while to get back my top register when I went back to Euph, so I suppose it may depend how long you're switching for (I did it for a year...)

Good luck!

Andy.

5. bbg

bbg Member

Also made a "big" move to Eflat, from back row cornet. Used a smaller mouthpiece at first, like Andy above did, and worked on developing tone / confidence (and getting used to 4th valve fingering) before actualy using the mouthpiece that "belonged" to the actual bass. A short move to BBb followed - when I moved back across again in the week leading up to the Scottish, EEb was a relative breeze.
    Must have made such a big impression in the bass section that I am on bari for the next 2 contests, on Saturday in Dunfermline then Forfar in May...........then on our mini-tour to Germany in July I'm playing horn!!
    Aside from the size of the beast, the two main things I had to really work on were breath control and developing a smoother, gentler air flow to keep the bass "filled" and to avoid longer notes fading too quickly.

6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I'm not personally sure that using a smaller mouthpiece is the answer. Having had to use a smaller mouthpiece on occasion, due to a combination of circumstances, I find it changes the way I have to play quite drastically, to detrimental effect.

I would suggest going straight away for a middle-range mouthpiece, and I'm sure you'd find you would soon adjust. Having moved in the past between horn and bass at quite short notice, even on one occasion in the same concert (!!!) it certainly worked fine for me.

7. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Just congratulate yourself on the best promotion there is in the banding world and enjoy the sensation. :)

I'd tend to follow advice from Peter, as he is so wise - as a result of being so old! :p

8. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

My sentiments exactly ha ha ha!

I would agree with Peter - go for middle of the road like a wick 3 / Alliance 3 (depending on the basses your band has) then you can always move about from that point depending on what you feel you need more or less of.

The other thing you will notice is that it takes about an hour and a half to press the valves down compared to a euph :tongue:

Good luck and enjoy!

9. youngman

youngman Member

Attack it hard ! Show no mercy and your transition to the dark side will be complete !
    Wick 3L should be a good starting point and a diaphragm like a tractor inner tube.

10. TUBAWAY ARMY

TUBAWAY ARMY Member

Vincent Bach 24AW and learn to breathe anally !!! LOL

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    anyone
    EEb Bass
    move
    bass
    EEb
  12. tuba90

tuba90 Member

I moved from Horn to EEb about 18 months ago and the best thing i found was using an average sized mouthpiece and progressing to a larger one after a few months. I was given some exercises by both my teacher and conductor to practice and they worked well. Also i just continued practicing a much as i could and went straight for grade 8 tuba instead of grade 8 horn. It was defiently the best thing that i ever did!! Good luck with it though.

13. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Out of a matter of interest, how long did it take before you were really comfortable with the really really low stuff? I'm still finding higher things a lot easier than the growly low stuff below the stave, and pedals. (Sorry to hijack this thread a little!)

14. tuba90

tuba90 Member

I was never very comfortable in the high stuff originally, one of the reasons to move. I was able to pedal on a horn. The high stuff was what i had to work on the most - still dont like playing high.

15. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I would have thought that the best advice would be to get some lessons with a good tuba teacher ...

16. Tuba83

Tuba83 New Member

Wouldnt go to big to early on the mouthpiece front! I would try a DW 3L or if your not on a budget a Schilke 66. The latter is really easy to play with and very forgiving!

Good Luck!

17. Lip slurs and long tones are good on any brass instrument.

18. wagger-g

wagger-g Member

Thanks everyone. :clap: This is really good stuff and very encouraging.:)

19. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

The above advice is something that I believe anyone who seriously wants to improve/learn should definitely do! I've been taking lessons, and my teacher has really helped me so far!

20. Tuba83

Tuba83 New Member

I must agree! If you dont know any good ones try looking on musicteachers.com.
    I found a really good one on there and the prices were quite reasonable!

21. Tuba83

Tuba83 New Member

Sorry that musicteachers.co.uk!!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    anyone
    EEb Bass
    move
    bass
    EEb