Moving from Euph to EEb Bass

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by MikeD, Dec 6, 2010.

1. MikeD

MikeD New Member

I've played bumper Euph for about a year after playing cornet. The band has managed to find a couple more Euph players and so I might move to either 1st Baritone or EEb Bass.

1st Baritone is probably the obvious move, but EEb bass might open up some more playing opportunities.

What challenges am I going to have to overcome moving from Euph to EEb Bass? Other than lugging the thing around...
  2. euphojim

euphojim Member

I did this a few years ago. The issues for me were:-
    1) Lugging the thing around to jobs and rehearsals.
    2) Having to drop the back seats of the car down to get it in the boot (losing the back seats).
    2) Finding somewhere at home to store it downstairs (in its hard case) and then having to take it upstairs to practice (chipped a few bits of paint off the door jambs but the bass was ok).
    3) Producing a big enough sound for the ffs
    4) Breathing

I only spent a year on bass before getting my reprieve - the euph seemed tiny afterwards.
  3. Simes

Simes Supporting Member

I think you would find it interesting to try the bass. EEb is probably a better choice than BBB for several reasons - firstly lugging the instrument around is easier, then the parts for EEb are often more lyrical than the BBb! Finally, breath - the EEb takes a bit of filling (although as a BBb player I sneer at it's tiny pipes!), and getting used to that can only improve your lung capacity and improve stamina on other instruments (and in other areas of your life... Bass players are famously the best lovers!!!).
  4. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Baritone isn't necessarily the obvious move - it all depends on your sound, technical ability and what aspects of band playing you enjoy the most. If you have a naturally good full euph (tuba) sound I'd argue EEb would be a more obvious move and better fit for you anyway.

Pros for bari - you get your own part, and its usually challenging without the added pressure of being an 'end chair', its a smaller instrument to lug around, you stay at the same pitch and in the section you're used to, and decent bari players (as opposed to euph players on the wrong instrument) are like rocking horse poo so the playing opportunites might surprise you!
    Pros for EEb - you won't get wound up sitting next to euphs playing stuff you think you could play the same/better (seriously - I've seen that one finish a lot of people off!!), you're part of the foundation for the band sound, you'll probably get more solo opportunities, and you'll have more opportunites to play with other ensembles.

And just to throw in a complete alternative.... if euph/bari pitch suits you best, think about having a go at trombone!

Thats just my opinion anyway - I've done stints on every instrument around the middle of the band and even tried EEb for about 5 minutes. I always end up back on 1st bari because its the instrument and part I enjoy playing the most.
  5. Tubazz

Tubazz Member

Go for the EEb Tuba with VB 24aw MPC lovely instrument,great parts etc, nearly as good as the BBb tuba, by the way the EEb fits in a ford mondeo boot in a hard case ;) with parcel shelf still in place :clap:
  6. Playabit

Playabit Member

We are also known to be the ones most likely to have bad bowels....just ask our horn section who sit in front of
  7. eflatbass

eflatbass Supporting Member

My move from euphonium to EEb bass was the best one I ever made. It is a glorious instrument (when played well!), and far more versatile than many people imagine. You may get bored on occasions when denied semiquaver runs in favour of playing quavers on the beat, but develop the full sound and it will reward you a thousand times over.
  8. pbirch

pbirch Member

playing without vibrato
    playing without the euphonium ego
    new pitch
    none of which cannot be overcome with practica and application, good luck
  9. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Just do it and become inducted into the brotherhood of bass players :)
  10. joker66

joker66 Member

I thought it was just our bass section that had this problem - clearly not!!!! lol
  11. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

This is all very true. You will enjoy every minute playing it.
    They are just the right size to cuddle and they don't answer back !!

- Mr Wilx
    (Ouch !)
  12. killer

killer Member

forget it mate,,, i cant think of anything worse . :)
  13. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

You'd have made a good bass player Killer - just the right sized mouth for some awesome pedals Ha ! Ha !
    AND the valves make very impressive noises when you wiggle them fast whilst fluking - you could rise to be head "Clanker"

Hope you are all right Mate - still at SMB ?

- Wilky
  14. Tubazz

Tubazz Member

Nope ,we are all the same LOL :eek:
  15. eflatbass

In harmony, too! Ah; the joys of those unwritten pedal notes, and the glare from the MD.
  16. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

And the unconscious bodies of the perc players gasping, writhing and twitching on the floor behind us !
    (From the effect of our discharge I hasten to add !!)

- Mr Wilx
  17. eflatbass

Back to the serious stuff. I think it is important to remember that a bass is NOT a euphonium. You may well be able to run through euph solos in the privacy of your own home, but they rarely work in actual performance.

This does not mean you have to restrict yourself to playing those mildy humerous numbers, but select your solos carefully. I agree that there are not too many suitable compositions available, and some, quite frankly, need avoiding. It would be unfair of me to single out the objectionable ones. Just use your own judgement.
  18. Tubazz

Tubazz Member

Celestial morn is a good one for the EEb (if i have spelt it correctly )
  19. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

"Frosty the Snowman" would seem suitable for most current gigs !!

- Mr Wilx
  20. eflatbass

Absolutely! In my opinion, Celestial Morn is one of the finest tuba solos ever written. I actually heard Leslie Condon, the composer, play this at a live concert with the International Staff Band, way back in the late 50's. Anyone hearing it for the first time all those years ago could only marvel at the both the skilful execution and very clever composition.

Tubby, who posts on this forum occasionally, has the original authorised version of the solo. I sent it to him a few weeks ago.