mouthpieces on planes?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by tom_leather, Feb 29, 2008.

1. tom_leather

tom_leather New Member

I'm flying to Sarajevo on Monday, and am keen to take my mouthpiece with me to try and keep my lip in a little (it's just for a week). I've been advised to take it in my hand luggage, as it can show up as something dodgy in suitcases, and it's always fine to get it past security! Whereas I'd have bunged it straight in the suitcase myself...
    Any advice? :tup

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    mouthpiece
    security
    suitcase
    something
    mouthpieces
  3. Owen S

Owen S Member

Personally, I'd always take it in hand luggage, not for security reasons, but simply because it's much less likely to get lost in transit that way.

4. Despot

Despot Member

Just brought home 9 mouthpieces from the USA in my suitcase last week and 1 in my hand luggage. No problems, not a word said.

5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I'd think this would be an easy one to explain and would take it in my hand luggage. You'll be fine I am sure.

6. HornyRich

HornyRich New Member

I travel around europe all the time with work, always put my mouthpiece in my hand luggage.
    Never been a problem but sometimes get asked what it is!

7. lucretia

lucretia Member

I normally chuck mine in my suitcase. Never been asked. To my mind, it's better than having it confiscated from my hand luggage.

8. STUART HAIGH

STUART HAIGH Member

Easy,, buy a plastic one,I use one on BB Bass I m not walking around with a big lump of metal any more.
    /

9. Jasper

Jasper Member

Just got back yesterday from Italy - mouthpiece in my hand luggage, no problem. Same cant be said for a good bottle of wine given to me as a gift by a friend out there....had to very reluctantly contibute to Italian customs. Took my cornet out on a fllight to Switzerland last year and secuirty at Luton delighted in asking me to give them a few notes (split!) for their entertainment before they let me through.

10. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

When I flew to Leeds, I took my cornet on as hand luggage instead of a bag-so there should be no problems at all with just a mouthpiece...however, they did take my valve oil away!

Silly Jess................!

11. Owen

Owen Member

my mouthpiece goes in my hand luggage. I have only once been asked to explain what it was for, and that was at Amsterdam. They appeared to be positively disappointed when I told them...

But I would always put it in my hand luggage as I have been parted from cases on too many occasions to take the risk!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    mouthpiece
    security
    suitcase
    something
    mouthpieces
  13. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I only got stopped once on the way back from Venice when I had my bass mouthpiece with me - in my hand luggage. I got it into Italy, but I got picked up taking it back out of Italy! "Per la trompeta!" and blowing into my cupped hand seemed to cure his suspicion that it might be the core of a small thermo-nuclear warhead.

Since I got a plastic one, nobody seems to care. :rolleyes:

14. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

Yeah, I've been stopped, but it has always easy to explain.

15. tom_leather

tom_leather New Member

Great, hand luggage it is then, cheers all!