Mouthpieces mouthpieces and more............(trombone)

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Steve, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Steve

Steve Active Member

I am looking to see what else there is apart from my trusted Bach5G. Having asked people for a few recommendations and after a quick google search I have decided to simply rely on the knowledge within tMp, can anyone offer any advice on any of the following trombone mouthpieces please.

Yamaha Peter Sullivan, Yamaha Alain Trudel, Schilke M5.D5. ranges, Conn Lindberg, Benge Marcellus, Warburton, Rudy Muck, Joseph Alessi

Also variations on the standard Bach range....

Bach Megatone
    Bach 5GT402

Please, if anyone can tell me what these are like it is gonna save me hours of internet trawling and phone calls.
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I've just added "trombone" in your title, to help attract the right response.
  3. lewis

lewis Member

If you are happy with the bach, which you seem to imply, why change? I've never understood why people want to change mouthpieces when there isn't a problem?
  4. kiwiposaune

kiwiposaune New Member

The Joseph Alessi range is Joe's signature version of the Greg Black mouthpiece. The Greg Black has been all the rage in North America for the last 10 years or so, especially amongst orchestral players and wannabees. Without boring you to tears regarding the technical side of it, it tends to produce a large, dark sound (typical of American orchestral trombone playing).

A few years ago Christian Griego (of Edwards Instruments) developed the Griego range of mouthpieces, partially based on the old New York (pre 1955) Bach mouthpieces. My section and I play them exclusively and I encourage my students to play them. Chris has taken the old Bach mouthpiece and added weight further down the cup. He has two versions of the mouthpiece - one a traditional shape and the other a more art deco shape. This (at least for me and other guys I know) produces a warm, darkish sound without being as hard on the high range and endurance as the Alessi - Greg Black pieces. In my experience, the traditional shape (Chris calls it the NY Blank) is very appropriate for band playing while the Deco Blank is possibly too dark for band playing. His website is They're not cheap but they're superb - and if you've been a Bach mouthpiece user (as I was) they'll feel very familiar to you on your face.

Hope this helps.
  5. Steve

Steve Active Member

Same as sex, you dont do the missionarry position all your life just because you are happy with it. You have to see what the rest are like before you are sure on your favourite.
  6. Frosty

Frosty Member

Perhaps checkout

You can only decide if a mouthpiece is going to work for yourself by trying it.
    Every single mouthpiece made will work well for someone!
    At the end of the day it's up to you to decide.

7. Steve

Steve Active Member

thanks so far, however there is no where local I can go to try a variety of mouthpieces, if someone can tell me the difference's they have found between the various models (attack / tone / comfort etc) then I will at least have a starting point.

Last resort, does anyone know where I could go to try every mouthpiece available????
  8. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

What do you think would be good for bass trom outside the usual bachs?
  9. Wendy

Wendy New Member

Might be a bit big, but I went from a Bach 4G to a Rath L5 recently. It seems larger than a normal 5 - but is still mangeable. I moved for range reasons- My top register (D onwards) wasn't great however much I practised - and I came to the realisation after 15 years - that an amateur player such as myself isn't going to get enough practise in for a 4G. Okay you are on a five already...... but it's just really a recommendation of rath mouthpieces. Very nice - I don't see me changing again.

They'll send you a few on approval...
  10. Frosty

Frosty Member

Choosing the right mouthpiece that suits you and your playing is probably the best answer I can give Neil.

There are so many makers who all offer many various models.It would be impossible to list every one of them.
    Try typing bass trombone mouthpieces into Google and see how many come up!
    Pm me if you want any specific information.