Mouthpiece war

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by tgfoxley, Jan 24, 2010.

1. tgfoxley

tgfoxley Member

Okay, I know this site is called 'The Mouthpiece,' but does anyone else get a bit fed up of the classic "what mouthpiece/instrument/valve oil should I buy?" threads?

Let's be honest - they usually end up with something like:
    -Wicks are the best. I'm amazing and it's all due to my 3B
    -No, you want a Yammy because they're easier
    -You're all wrong because Schilkes are the ONLY good mouthpieces.

Enlightened? I think not.

Anyway, just something to ponder over.

2. still learnin

still learnin Member

I think that you've just rubbished every exchange of opinions in every conversation on any subject in any environment! We might as well stop talking about which sports team is best, which political party is right, which religions have a base in truth, what schools are best, etc. etc.

What bothers you the most - the fact that people feel the need to ask the question in the first place or, that some people feel uniquely qualified to answer?

East way around the problem - move to another thread that you find more stimulating and let others carry on with the exchange that leaves you unenlightened.

3. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

still learning, you beat me to it. There is plenty on tMP for people of all persuasions. I read the threads that interest me and leave the one's that don't well alone. If I find there's nothing currently being discussed that I want to follow, I go elsewhere for my amusement/enlightenment.

I happen to enjoy browsing tMP and adding my two-penn'orth occasionally. I'd rather have serious (or humorous) contributors on here, rather than site-knockers. No-one is forced to be on here. If someone doesn't like the site content, there are but two solutions:

1. Add more interesting comment by starting an interesting thread, that will, hopefully, provoke an interesting discussion (or game, even).

2. Go elsewhere

;)

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The good thing about the basic questions about instrument hardware on tMP is to see what posters actually do about it ... do people follow the popular trend for buying or enlighten us with a different/alternative product that may be a worthwhile try??

5. tgfoxley

tgfoxley Member

Okay sorry everyone don't get me wrong; the majority of 'hardware' discussions on here seem to be beneficial to people. It's just the odd thread that goes on like the one above, where everyone claims to be right, that I find a bit useless. Okay, I'll stop being a bore and go and post something worthwhile.

6. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Ponder indeed - you're fed up and complain about these threads, but within a few minutes you actually contradicate your own comments by contributing to a thread about valve caps!

Make your mind up Mr Foxley. ;)

7. sop 1

sop 1 Member

:clap:

8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

It's not only online that such discussions arise, and we have to remember that there are always going to be those who are new to the topic. Sure enough, when it came to the question time at ort Tubalations day yesterday someone wanted to know about mouthpiece choice, with the usual questions of size/bore cropping up (not to mention plastic mouthpieces!)

With a mixed group of 30 players, ranging from experienced players to very new starters, it was a wide-ranging discussion, including one player who was still playing on the same mouthpiece after 20 or so years, and another who recalled having bought a new instrument, complete with Cosycup (spelling?) mouthpiece as there was nothing else available.

All discussion is valuable, and it is up to each individual to take from it what works for them.

9. euph-man

euph-man Member

my attitude to a topic I am not keen on is to take a large portion of no notice and move on

10. killer

killer Member

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    The Mouthpiece
    Wicks
    Schilkes
    Mouthpiece war
    instrument
  12. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

13. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Wow! A bass player that knows what the 4th valve is for!.......Never ;)

14. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Haw ! Haw ! very funny !!

- Mr Wilx
    (With 4th Valve finger pointing to the sky !)

15. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Actually, I know what it's for, but where is it ????
    The 4th valve I mean (lol)

- Mr Wilx

16. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Can anyone advise a 2 fingered alternative to the third valve? (Killer?)

Oh, and Wilky, your 4th valve is the one that sticks slightly less than the other 3 :D

17. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Yes, but in what direction ?

- Mr Wilx

18. cornyandy

cornyandy Member

Dear all

Third finger fourth finger, remember Agincourt that should give you directions

On a serious note I hadn't bought a mouth piece well ever I was given an anonymous G22 by my first teacher about thirty years ago. I still use it but in the ensuing years all sorts of things have happened (heavy tops, mega tomes monettes etc ad infinitum) and I have found all of the mouthpiece chat useful and informative.

Andrew

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  19. alks

alks Member

Actually this forum is probably the least full of such threads! Go visit the trumpetherald (american trumpet forum) or the brass forum (uk) and practically all the threads are on what mouthpiece or what instrumnet! And they sometimes take a topic to the N'th degree as is the case wit the trumpetherald. The Americans seam to analyse a topic so much you wonder how its possible!

alks

20. worzel

worzel Member

WARNING: You should disregard any answers to this question unless the person offering the advice has the appropriate certification to do so. ;)

21. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Ha ! Ha !

- Mr Wilx

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    The Mouthpiece
    Wicks
    Schilkes
    Mouthpiece war
    instrument