Mouthpiece vendors?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Craigsav83, May 19, 2005.

1. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

I'm looking to purchase a new mouthpiece, Vincent Bach 17c for use with my soprano cornet. Where on earth can I find one? I have tried the local places (one ordered one for me 5 weeks ago... no reply as of yet :( ) and none of the other places I have tried seem to have this model. I assume it is a fairly common mouthpiece to find? Can anyone advise? there is bound to be somewhere on the net that sells them! Google hasn't found any for me. :(

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Vincent Bach
    Google
    new mouthpiece
    use
    Mouthpiece vendors
  3. Neil Glynn

Neil Glynn Member

Have you tried speaking to Band Supplies in Leeds, their phone number's 0113 245 3097. What they don't stock they can normally get hold of, and they do mail-order.

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

5. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Thanks for that Brassneck, but America is out I'm afraid - I dont have a credit card, so I'd need to find a supplier in the UK. One supplier counldnt believe that I had asked for such a mouthpiece, they thought I was pretty crazy! I thought it was a fairly common soprano mouthpiece... apparantly not it seems :-?

6. knorbury

knorbury New Member

Craig - just to complicate things, there are 2 VB17C mouthpieces. I don't know why you look for a 17C, but it may be that you heard some of the best Sop players use it - like Alan Wycherley and Peter Roberts. I believe Peter Roberts has a VB 'Mount Vernon' model 17C which is no longer made. The MV model differs from what you can buy today - I think the inner diameter is slightly larger. I ordered a 17C from Fred Rhodes in Oldham where Glyn Williams got me one within a week. Having said that, I now play on a VB18C which is about the same but with a wider rim. I picked the 18C up in a music shop where it was obviously the most unpopular mouthpiece on the shelf (black with tarnish) but it was cheap and cleaned up like new. I don't know what you play on at the moment, but you will probably find the 17C a struggle to get used to at first, especially if you played on a Wick 'S' or something, but persevere. The sound is shrill and horrible at first but stick with the long note practise and it will 'warm up'. I'm a big advocate of smaller Sop mouthpieces - after all you would not find someone playing Eb Horn with a Bb Baritone mouthpiece;)

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... John Packer's ???

http://www.johnpacker.co.uk/shop/accessories/mouthpieces/cornet/203985/details.htm

8. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Good points! I had been considering a mouthpiece change for a while, and got some advice (I know next to nothing about mouthpieces), and was recommended the VB 17C as a common soprano mouthpiece - I have been playing sop for about 2 years, so I felt that 'common' was the way to go for the time being. My current mouthpiece is a Schilke 11C2, which I'm told isn't a bad choice for sop, but I'm with you there about the small sop mouthpieces!

9. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member