mouthpiece repair

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by countessduckula, Nov 21, 2010.

1. countessduckula

countessduckula New Member

any recommendations for mouthpiece repair-ers?

Bb Bass irons requiring dent removal and replating. Have been lazy just bought replacements, but missing using some old favourites.

thanks for any recommendations

Links to previous threads would be handy if any. tried searching but just came up with for sale adverts.....!
  2. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

same recommendation as many repair threads for me - Owen Wedgewood
  3. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Try Bryce Ferguson at

Am pretty sure it'd be a no brainer job for a man of his skill, well that and he has mouthpiece plating on his website? ;)
  4. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I only know of a good repairer here in Australia. That said they can be very successful and a good cheap alternative to new.
  5. pbirch

pbirch Member

I thought about this for one of my old mouthpieces. Unless it is of special value to you, you might be better served by putting the money towards a new mouthpiece.
  6. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

first mouthpeice I had re done was a euphonium. it was done as part of an Instrument service.
    They did a good job so i got them to machine my pt-84 to fit an imperial and my sousa. It was playing very sharp on my sov but makes a good spare for when I have to play an imperial while my instrument is in a service. or playing any where my sov would be in danger of being damaged. On The back of a truck playing carols.
  7. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Depends on the make, I bought a new wick 2F as a replacement for me old one and its completely different. Turns out its not exactly the same as my old one when measured....:confused:
  8. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

That makes it hard. is the new one part of there new heritage series?
  9. Par10

Par10 Member

Try FH Lambert, they are based in Watford and have a good reputation for repairing and refinishing brass instruments.

Hope this is helpful.;)
  10. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Wicks have pretty variable QA, whether "original" or "heritage". As do a number of other mouthpiece manufacturers.
  11. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Mainly due to the wear and tear on machine tools. Vincent Bachs are even more prone to this due to the much higher volume sales worldwide. As soon as old tools are replaced, then there's another size/shape again. However, the main makers are using much harder steel-carbide lathe tools nowadays, so there won't be so much variation on newer mouthpieces.

If this thread was dated last year, I would wholeheartedly have recommended Alaric Knight in Sheffield, but he sadly passed away. His work was exemplary.
  12. Toby

Toby Member

What a great shame. Sad news