Mouthpiece Refurb

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by GER, Jul 23, 2018.

1. GER

GER Active Member

Hi,
    I'm looking to have my mouthpiece refurbished/replated, has any body any recommendations as to who to use? It has very minor damage to the rim,the bore is slightly flattened on one side, and the plate is wearing in a couple of places (though not worn through)
    Thanks

2. pbirch

pbirch Active Member

I've seen some good work from here

3. GER

GER Active Member

thanks I've dropped them an email.

4. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

If that's who I think it is, I've seen some very unpleasant behaviour more than once on Facebook...

2nd tenor likes this.
  5. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

Thank you for that indication. Folk tend to be reluctant to give other than positive comments but, I find, a balanced view is helpful. When in doubt, or I find someone’s business practice questionable, I tend deal with someone else instead - that’s my choice and other do as they choose.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  6. GER

GER Active Member

Well I've emailed two companies and neither have bothered to reply, will keep trying. Just for info the two companies are the brass service and repair service recommended by Pbirch and Goldchops. If any body knows any other companies please let me know
    Thans

7. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

As far as I know Goldchops has stopped trading. IIRC (not at all guaranteed, I looked s couple of years back) the chap in charge there passed away, I don’t think that he was far if at all beyond mid-aged. The Website is still there so perhaps a telephone call?

I honestly don’t know who could do this work for you, but I’d be inclined to ring several of the better known brass repair shops and ask them who they use, worth trying suppliers likes Bras-fix too. Though I don’t need to get anything replated at the moment I would be pleased to hear who could do this work - I’m sure that the info would come in handy at some point.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    Slider1 likes this.
  8. Hsop

Hsop Member

Hi
    I am also looking for a company for plating mouthpieces. I found this company after doing a google search Mouthpiece Plating, Instrument Repairs. It's the first time I have seen their website however they can silver plate a cornet mouthpiece for £20 which seems good value.

9. GER

GER Active Member

Hi Thanks for the info, I found them this morning and have emailed them for a quote. Have also spoken to brassandwoodwind.co.uk a company in Scotland, they do replating-£25.00 for a cornet mouthpiece unless heavily pitted then can go to £35.00 tel no 01312688580. Turn around in a couple of days, but they're closing on Wednesday for the week so will have to wait till it re-opens

10. Hsop

Hsop Member

Hi

Thanks I will look into that too as I live in Scotland. I am considering getting a few pieces gold plated, it has a slightly different feel when you play which I prefer :)

11. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

The key is in the preparation work... if whoever does is is overzealous with the stripping (if using abrasives) or the buffing, it'll change things that you'll notice immediately when you get it back... especially if we're talking about shifting pitting or deep scratches.

If we're talking about treasured personal favourites, especially if they're irreplaceable, then I'd be very careful about sending it to just anyone - or even having work done at all if it's not completely necessary (raw brass showing through would be one such case IMHO).

12. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

Hmmm - thanks for the caution, Tom. I've got a Besson 7 which I found quite by chance on E-bay, and it suits me and my B & H Regent baritone very well - one of those cases where everything just seems to match! I was thinking of having it replated while I'm not playing it at the moment (concentrating on getting the hang of my trombone in prep for a junior band job on 9th September), as it has some slight pitting on the rim. But . . . though I dare say there are still quite a few of those Besson 7s knocking about, I've never seen one even mentioned anywhere, let alone offered for sale - and I'd hate to have it messed up.

A friend had a nasty experience when he took a pair of rusty mudguards into a local metal treatment place. He pointed out to the staff there that the metal was very thin; it also had some significant pitting; so he wanted it done with fine grit and a low pressure, even if that took more time and cost him a bit more. Instead, they gave it to a bloke who normally dealt with steel fabrications, he walloped it through with coarse grit at high pressure, and the mudguards - off a rare make of 1930s motorbike, and now unobtainable - came back looking like a set of lace curtains.

I think I'll wait for feedback from GER and Hsop - and decide then.

With best regards,

Jack

13. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

@Hsop - I just took a look at Team Music Ltd's website, and I see that they have installed a machine which can copy a mouthpiece - though they are not in a position to do that yet, as they are still getting the programming sorted out. But that's another option if you have an irreplaceable mouthpiece.

14. pbirch

pbirch Active Member

They have just done some work on my instrument and have been a delight to do business with

Jack E and 2nd tenor like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice