Mouthpiece query

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by sterlingsop, Jan 4, 2006.

1. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

Can anyone offer advice on which trumpet mouthpiece to use if I currently play on a Wick 3B cornet mouthpiece please? I will be playing trumpet along with cornet for a while and don't want to ruin my chops completely! :-?

Many thanks, Pam
  2. MickM

MickM Member

Hi Pam,

Don't know a great deal about trumpet mouthpieces, but could you not use the Wick 3 with one of those shank adaptor things? Unless of course you wanted to go shallower cup with a similar rim size! In wich case i hand you over to the Trumpet experts.

Good luck,
  3. Adrian Horn

Adrian Horn Member

No !!!! Only do this if you want your trumpet to sound like a cornet! The traditional cornet mouthpiece shape has a V shaped cup rather than the standard bowl shaped cup of the standard trumpet mouthpiece which gives a brighter tone and crisper attack.

Ideally start your search with a trumpet mouthpiece that has a similar sized rim (diameter) to the wick 3B, and then work from there.

The Wick 3B has a diameter of 16.75mm so perhaps a starting point would be a Vincent Bach 2 (16.5mm)or 1 1\2 (17mm). Then choose a cup depth. C is a fairly standard cup, but as you are used to a deeper mouthpiece perhaps trying a B cup would work well for you or possibly go even deeper by not using a letter..

I used a Bach 2 for a while which had quite a powerful sound, and quite dark, but to my mind a C cup gives the attack a crisp bite that I look for in my trumpet sound and have pretty much played a 1 1\4C the majority of my playing career on the trumpet (everything from Mahler symphonies to Soul Bands).

Do experiment to find what works for you. As sometimes the most obvious choice just doesn't work and the strangest choice can be perfect. Everyone is different hence the reason there are so many mouthpiece choices around. Just remember that if you are wanting to play the trumpet and the cornet, make sure they sound like they should, not both like trumpets or both like cornets, or else there isn't any point in playing both!

I used Bach mouthpieces in my example above, but remember there are many makes all with slightly varying sizes, differing thickness and shapes of rims, different backbores and throats for resistance etc. Bach, Yamaha, Warburton, GR, Monette, Reeves, Giardinelli, Curry, Stork & Marcinkiewicz to name just a few mouthpiece makers!

You must try quite a few, and then settle on the one that seems to feel close enough to right for you. The rest is then down to practice:icon_biggrin:

A website with useful specifications of many makes of different mouthpieces (trumpet & cornet) is
  4. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

Adrian that sounds like top advice, thank you. I got my trumpet yesterday - a brand new Bach Strad ML180 - and am going to spend some time looking for a mouthpiece in the coming weeks. I tried the Bach 7C that came with it, which was fine to start with but the rim size seems narrower than my Wick 3B cornet mouthpiece, which I can see giving me stamina problems at the very least.

I have heard of people using extensions for cornet mouthpieces in trumpets but had heard that they give kind of a mixed sound of neither not a proper trumpet and not a proper cornet either.

The hunt is on!!

5. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Mouthpiece choice is a very personal thing.

On the whole I agree with Adrian.

There are basically two schools of thought when it comes to multi-instrument playing (welcome to a very familiar world).
    There are those players who want the mouthpieces to be as similar as possible, to aid transition from one to another.
    Then there are those who find that they can change quite drastically and that helps them differentiate between the various instruments they might be playing.

Those who fall into the first category tend to go for mouthpieces with very similar size and style of rims. Once you know what size works for you, there are a huge number of trumpet mouthpiece manufacturers that are worth looking in to (Wick, Bach, Schilke, Warburton, GR, Curry etc).
    Seeing that there is a Wick 3 trumpet mouthpiece (see for details - where you can see a chart showing sizes of all the cornet and trumpet mouthpieces) of very similar dimensions, this might be worth looking at. Denis' trumpet mouthpieces are very often overlooked, yet are definitely worth looking at (and are generally cheaper than many of the other makes).
    I have a couple of Wick trumpet mouthpieces that I have been known to use (for specific instruments or styles).

I swap between Bb Trumpet, C Trumpet D/Eb Trumpet, G Piccolo Trumpet, Bb/a Piccolo Trumpet, Cornet, Flugel, Soprano Cornet - I find that if I keep the same rim size (in my case a Warburton 1, or a Wick 1X) I am able to move between instruments relatively easily - it is then just the mental aspect of playing that requires my attention (because each of these instruments requires a different mindset).

Just for the record, there is at least one very decent trumpeter who uses a cornet mouthpiece with an adaptor - Crispian Steele-Perkins - he says that he just likes the way it works.
    As Adrian said - "the strangest choice can be perfect"
  6. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

Thanks Mike. I did have a look at the denis wick website and got the dimensions of the various mouthpieces earlier this week so I had a rough idea of which trumpet mouthpieces match cornet ones in size. The two things I'm looking for in my trumpet mouthpiece is something that will firstly help me make a proper trumpet sound, not just a hard "cornetty" sound and secondly something that I can adjust from when I play cornet again. I don't want to hurt my lip and have to spend ages readjusting to cornet! I find it dead easy to play soprano after cornet, but find it difficult to swap back again quickly depending on what I've been playing on sop. I don't want the same to happen swapping from trumpet to cornet.

As for the mindset thing I couldn't agree more, which is why I'm playing trumpet for the show I'm doing and not cornet. I'm hoping to do more shows and orchestral work in the future so I need to get the mouthpiece situation sorted right from the start!

Thanks for your advice, Pam.