Mouthpiece of Choice

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by GingerMaestro, Feb 13, 2006.

1. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

How many times have you been told by the band know it all "You should use this type of mouthpiece"

When you know that you should use the mouth piece you feel most comfortable with.

What is the general choice of mouthpiece you use for whatever instrument

Cornet - Yamaha 16e (Comes with the Maestro)
  2. LilMissFlugel

LilMissFlugel Member

roger webster 3 flug but used to use a denis wick 2 fl
  3. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Cornet - Denis Wick RW3B - Gold plated
    Tenor Horn - Denis Wick 2 - Gold plated
    Flugel - Denis Wick 2B Fl. - Gold plated.
  4. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

Strad cornet DW2
    Strad flugel DW2F
  5. persins

persins Member

Cornet - DW2
    Tried a DW3 the other day but didn't really do it for me.
  6. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

at the moment:
    Yam~ 16E - intending to start using my new Lewington-Mcann after contest

(mart1n - a long time ago i remember you saying these two were the same, now owning both i know they arent - just thought you might like to know :p)
  7. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Always used a Dennis Wick Mouthpiece on each instrument i have played current mouthpiece
    5BS -Baritone:tup
  8. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

Used to be a Lewington McCann..... now it's a Denis Wick 4W for my cornet and some messed up old thing that's got A2 engraved on it for sop.
  9. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

A real minefield out there. As a general rule of thumb, if you can play high, low, fast, slow, loud, quiet and all these things with a nice sound, then keep using whatever you are using. I use a Schilke 51D on the tenor trombone, a Denis Wick 10CS on the Bass Trumpet and a Vincent Bach 6 3/4C on the Alto trombone.

I used the Schilke at college, but then somebody told me not to use it. Like a numpty, I switched over and spent the next few years not really being happy. I have thankfully now taken my own advice and gone back to the one that I feel is most suited to me. Beware of taking advice at face value, go for what you feel happy with.
  10. Steve

Steve Active Member

ditto. Schilke 51D on both tenor trom and euph, its not perfect for euph but its works well enough and especially when swapping instruments which I have been known to do. Also use a small shank 51D on baritone.
  11. ktdn1985

ktdn1985 New Member

I use a denis wick 4 on my mouthpiece.
  12. ktdn1985

ktdn1985 New Member

i mean cornet
  13. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Agreed on that one. I don't play much euph at the moment. Had a euph gig last week (stage band on some Shostakovich with the BBCSO, so it was all short, loud and nasty) and used my Schilke for that, but might use a Bach 4G if it required anything lyrical!
  14. David Mann

David Mann Member

Denis Wick on Sop - Horn, Bach on Bari / Trom / Euph.
  15. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

I use a bach 3B gold plated
  16. HBB

HBB Active Member

DW2 - used to be a 3, but wanted a bigger sound.
  17. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

That's what I used to use on 'baritone' in marching band (some used the 51B others 6.5AL)...I'm surprised its not too big from trombone?
  18. Steve

Steve Active Member

same rim diameter as the Bach 5g (standard issue for most trom players) and the deeper cup comes in handy for articulation and sonority higher up (in my very uneducated opinion)
  19. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

DW2 for tenor horn
    Havnt got a lcue for french horn :tongue:
  20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- sssssh!