Mouthpiece modification

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by dhanimiller, Apr 9, 2011.

1. dhanimiller

dhanimiller Member

Hello TMPers

I'm looking at getting a Lewington McCann rim put onto a wick 3 or 4, as I find the Wick rims uncomfortable and I can't get enough air through the McCann! Is there anyone in the Manchester area who does mouthpiece modifications?

Would another option perhaps be to make the Backbore on the McCann a bit wider?

2. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

Hmm. I used to play on a McCann so I know what you mean. I've since been more comfortable on a DW Heritage 3. I wonder if you've considered that ?

3. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

This is exactly what i play on. The McCann rim is great but the bore was a bit too shallow. I have a McCann that is perfect for me now.
  4. John_D

John_D Member

a 3/16 drill bit and a lot of courage. On second thoughts, leave it to a good tech.
  5. dhanimiller

dhanimiller Member

Haha... I hope that works, otherwise thats 29 quid down the drain!
  6. dhanimiller

dhanimiller Member

I've always wanted to try a heritage out, they look like they have wide rims?
    They also look different to the normal range, i could swear the heritage 4B is deeper than the normal one!
  7. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

I have a Heritage 3b and a DW RW3b (that's the Roger Webster Dw3b) in front of me now and the diameter of the rim seems the same. The main difference is that the depth of the rim from front to back is very much smaller and where the backbore of the RW3b starts to slope in the Heritage is very straight in form. The Heritage weighs 47g compared to 69g for the RW3b so there's a lot less metal there...I can't measure the cup depth but it looks the same to me.

Hope that helps, but do try one for yourself if you can - I have read that they are supposed to be easy when playing pp but as I've always struggled in that dynamic I can't really confirm that!

8. dhanimiller

dhanimiller Member

Ah okay, it seems very obvious saying this, but mouthpiece modification is a bit of a pain seeing as you can't 'try before you buy' ...

Changing the rim on a wick may work wonders for me, but if it doesn't work then thats money wasted...

I'll try and get my hands on a heritage sometime during the week!
  9. dhanimiller

dhanimiller Member

when I said look different, i meant cup depth... you'd have to be a gorilla to not notice that they looked different!!
  10. animal.22

animal.22 Member

Find a reasonable engineers near to you and explain what you want. There's one in most bigish towns. Simples!!!!!
  11. welshmike

welshmike Member

I play on a Denis Wick 2 but it has been bored out to what would be the equivilent of a 1 cup (if they made it!)

I had it done by an engineering friend of mine but there are plenty of Machine shops that will do this for you

Alternatively Parkers in London quoted me a few years ago to put a 2 rim on a deeper cup but I never got around to pursuing it

Personally I always found the Lewington Mc Cann mouthpieces a bit too shallow. Deeper cup, hard work but better quality sound!
  12. kennywenny

kennywenny Member

You ever tried the jimmy shepherd special ...Phil parkers in London . You can get it on trial other half uses it and loves it , I find the rim to thick ( but I would say that being a SOP shooter ) and its not to dissimilar to the depth your looking for . Just a possible alternative, hope it helps .
  13. subtlevib

subtlevib Member

I played on a MCann for twenty years and it suited me no end until I tried a Jim Shepherd special. Now i realise what I've been missing!!!
  14. dhanimiller

dhanimiller Member

Hi, it's been a while... I got in touch with Phil Parker's but got no reply! I've tried to bide my time waiting to see if one pops up from somewhere, but they seem to be rarer than the fabled wild mountain haggis that live in the hills in scotland!
  15. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

rath in honley will do it and so will owen wedgewood who i think lives in heckmondwike (owen is cheaper i think)
  16. AndrewL

AndrewL Member

If you like the feel of a McCann you may find that a Sparx 3 would suit you. It is similar in size to the McCann and the rim is very comfortable (more comfortable than the McCann in my opinion). There is no problem with volume as the Sparx plays well through all dynamics and I have found it easier to play both quieter and louder using this comared to the DW and McCann mouthpieces.

I am selling my Sparx 3 on e-bay at the moment and it may be a good opportunity to get an expensive mouthpiece at a knock down price. Sorry if this sounds like a sales pitch but second hand Sparx mouthpieces do not come up for sale too often and they are very expensive to buy new. The link is below.

If this does not appeal to you I suggest that you try the DW heritage range as many people find the rims more comfortable than the classic mouthpieces.
  17. dhanimiller

dhanimiller Member

I do think that someone would be getting a great deal with that Sparx! However, I have upsized to a David King as it is comfortable and it has improved my sound loads!

18. AndrewL

AndrewL Member

Glad to see that you have found a mouthpiece you like. The David King mouthpiece is very good.