Mouthpiece Help!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by pilgrim_pete, Jan 6, 2013.

1. pilgrim_pete

pilgrim_pete New Member

Hi brass banders,

Im a Euph player by trade, but for the new year, band requirements dictatate I play tenor trombone. Having never played trombone before and with the first rehersal just around the corner, I nned to know ASAP what mouthpiece I can use.
    The Band is providing a Conn 88H 'Bone for me, and I have a Conn 5CL large shank mouthpiece which I used with my euph.

Will this be suitable with a tenor trom??

2. Gazabone

Gazabone Member

The 5CL mouthpiece is the one that comes supplied with the instrument (or at least is was when I bought my 88H 11 years or so ago). However, that may not be the best mouthpiece for you so I would suggest trying a few out. I have a personal preference for Vincent Bach mouthpieces and I use a 6 1/2 BL and I would recommend starting your search with this but I emphasis it's a personal choice - not suitable for all.

I also use the same mouthpiece on the odd occasion I play euph.

The only thing you need to watch for is the 'bone mouthpieces come in 2 sizes to cover both Large and Medium bore instruments.

Welcome to the world of 'bone blowing - hope you enjoy it.
  3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Is it a 5CL or a 5G? The CL is the Christian Lindberg range, whereas the 88H comes supplied with a Conn 5G (and has done for many years, as far as I know).

The CL mouthpieces are a bit different from most, with as I recall, narrow rounded rims, funnel-shaped cups, and large throats. I'm sure they work wonderfully well for Mr Lindberg, but his playing requirements are not the same as for most of us - his needs are soloistic ones; he doesn't have to cut through a loud ensemble. Maybe they work well with euph - interesting idea.

In general, a 5 sized mouthpiece is a good choice for an 88H. Strong or large chops may prefer a 4 size. Bach 5G (4G) or Wick 5AL/5BL (4AL/4BL) are all standard choices more likely to be easier to blend with than a 5CL. If you just want a mouthpiece that will go into the thing and will do an acceptable job, the 5CL will be fine. However, you may find that you prefer something slightly more mainstream.
  4. John_D

John_D Member

Don't go trying other mouthpieces until you've seen if your current one is OK. It will fit and it's what you're used to so why change if you don't have to.
  5. pilgrim_pete

pilgrim_pete New Member

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll stick with the CL until I know the positions then try other options.

By the way, apparantly the first piece of the 2013 rehersals is Basin Street Blues!! Oh no!