mouthpiece help please

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Nik_The_Insane, Jan 26, 2005.

1. I'm currently playing on a denis wick 2 mouthpiece and now feel that I could do with trying something bigger!

I've had a search around and the only mouthpieces I can find with a bigger cup diameter are Schilke ones (they go up to 18.5mm as opposed to the 17mm I'm on now) but have a reduced bore (3.734mm as opposed to the 4.572mm i'm on now).

Ideally I'd like to try one with an increased cup diameter and bore but cant find anything. All help appreciated!

Failing this does anyone know of anywhere (preferably in the Bristol area) that will bore out my current mouthpiece for me?????
  2. NeilW

NeilW Member

Which instrument do you play, NicK?

I too play (my euph) on a 2AL, and its OK, but is hard work at the top of the register :)

Reengineering your existing mouthpiece could be an expensive mistake if you don't like the result! You might be better off getting an local engineering shop to make you a new one in brass and then get it plated if you like the feel of it (though it'll taste horrible without plate!).

On a second thought, what about getting someone to engineer an acrylic one (no plating required)?

3. Ooops, did I forget to say I play cornet ;)
  4. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Normans have a comparison chart thingy on their website ( which is pretty detailed, might be a good place to start.
    Look on the bright side - if you played horn or bari you'd only have 3 or 4 to choose from! ;)
  5. alks

alks Member

Why on earth would you want to play on a larger mouthpiece than a wick 2?

Perhaps you should move on to flugel or horn?

Theres nothing to be gained by going any larger than a wick 2 on cornet. Most people are happy with a 3 or 4b!

Also you really do want to blend in with orthers, so going too different will not help matters.

Maybe try a flugel mp in the cormet? (if it will fit?)
  6. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Nick you need to change ur pic its not xmas nemore
  7. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Despite the fact that I consider myself something of a "Schilke loyalist", I would have to caution against the use of a Schilke cornet mouthpiece (at least on a Bb cornet) within the context of a British brass band. I think it is important to remember that all Schilke cornet 'pieces (even the largest sizes) are nothing more than a trumpet 'piece rim, cup, throat, and backbore, grafted onto a cornet shank. Although they frequently work well with Eb soprano cornets, it is unlikely (though not inconceivable) that you would be able to blend successfully into a traditional Bb cornet section sound. I admit that I personally use a Schilke cornet mouthpiece (15C4) with a Schilke (XA1) Bb cornet, however most people locally will happily confirm that I sound nothing like a cornet! As always, with mouthpieces, there are no hard and fast rules, but I can't imagine it would work for most people.

8. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

If you want to stick with Denis Wick - there is a mouthpiece larger than a 2 - the 1XB.
    This is a mouthpiece that has been designed for trumpeters who have to double on cornet, yet find the traditional cornet mouthpieces too small/restrictive. This is what I use when playing cornet.
    You might also look into other makes, such as Warburton (which go up to 17.5mm) and make very good cornet mouthpieces. I use a Warburton on my trumpets and used to (until I was given a 1XB and preferred it) on my cornet as well.
  9. bennem

bennem Member

I would recommend talking to the guys that make the Sparx line of mouthpieces. GR mouthpieces these guys will make custom pieces to whatever design you want. Not cheap mind you but the service is great and the quality fabulous. But with the dollar exchange rate what it is at the moment they are not as expensive as you may think.

I have just had them make a flugal mouthpiece with a sparx 4 rim and its lovely.
  10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Has anyone tried the Curry range of mouthpieces? (and no remarks about possible chicken bhuna models please :rolleyes: ). They are pricey and I'm wondering if they justify the cost?
  11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Looking at the Curry site again, I noticed that they have a good guide when considering mouthpiece choice ...

Important Considerations when ordering a Custom Mouthpiece...

A mouthpiece, at it's very best, is still a compromise. An ideal mouthpiece should have these qualities:

1. The rim should be comfortable enough to give reasonable endurance.
      Rim diameter, width and contour is a personal issue. There is no set rule that governs this. I've seen physically large players that can play tiny little mouthpieces, and small players who play extremely large mouthpieces equally well. It is also highly dependent on the individual's teeth and jaw formation.
    2. The Total rim (contour, inner diameter, bite and undercut) should give you control over attacks and tone color.
      You don't want to limit yourselves on your musicality. The best players have strong low G's as well as a sweet, pretty high G.

FACT: what most players perceive as the rim is actually a combination of the rim, bite, and undercut!

This brings us to:

Lip Intrusion: this occurs when the lips actually intrude into the mouthpiece cup. This is somewhat related to the size and thickness of the individual's lips, but not a direct correlation. I stood next to Cat Anderson (the Great High Note player with Duke Ellington's band) and watched him play back in 1975. Even though his lips were large and thick, there was nearly zero intrusion into the cup, which was incredibly shallow. On the other hand, I've seen small-lipped players stuff half their face into a 1C and sound great from low G to high G and above.
    3. The Cup should give a good usable tone over the players range.
      Obviously, the cup depth and shape should be complimentary to the music at hand. Orchestral works generally require a large volume of tone and therefore a larger, deeper cup. This same player, working in a R & B band on the weekend may be able to perform the job on his 1C, but the sound requirements for this job are different. He needs a mouthpiece that will give him more "pop" and faster response , with more "front" to the sound, especially in the higher register. He can accomplish this using the same rim, but with a slightly shallower, differently shaped cup.
    4. The Throat and Backbore should be balanced towards the "Sweet Spot".
      In addition to creating overall sound and blowing characteristics, throats and backbores also help determine the physical limits of the player, mouthpiece and horn. Every player, mouthpiece, and horn has a "sweet spot". This is where the player can comfortably play his entire range of the horn, with complete control over attacks, dynamic levels, and tone color.

I often advise players to wear ear plugs* in both ears when trying to find their "sweet spot"....they turn the focus inward, instead of on the "sound" they think they should be hearing. Without exception, after 30 minutes of "easy" practice with the ear plugs in place, the players are playing with a more relaxed approach, and a more centered, denser sound.

*Music ear plugs- custom molded to your ear at most hearing aid stores. Around $130.00. Get the 25db reduction models. the 15 db simply do not take enough sound out. We all know guitarists who are very good lip readers.....
      For our purposes, the 29 cent foam plugs work just fine!