mouthpiece extractor

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by silver surfer, Jun 9, 2010.

1. silver surfer

silver surfer Member

Has anyone got a mouthpiece extractor up for grabs let me know how much please!
  2. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

Being an engineer with fabrication from either memory or imagination experience, I saw a photograph of one and made my own. Not too difficult with a drill, hacksaw, two bits of metal plate and a few long screws.
  3. Tubby

Tubby Member

You should be able to remove a mouthpiece by "tapping" around the lead pipe with something wooden like a screwdriver handle. We have an a trained instrument repairer in our band and he does this to good effect.
  4. HowarthBrass

HowarthBrass Member

It's probably OK if you know what you're doing, but I think it's better and safer to use a mouthpiece extractor.
    Best price I've seen is on ebay, £45.75 Free P/P.
  5. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

It's not such an exotic technique - definitely worth a try before putting down nearly £50, and given that metal is harder than wood, you can't dent the instrument either.

I've seen some mouthpiece extractors that use metal to put pressure on metal - these are more likely to mark the finish than the above technique!
  6. HowarthBrass

HowarthBrass Member

I suppose it's all according to how often 'Silver Surfer' needs the mouthpiece extractor.

If it's just a one off, personally I'd take it to an instrument repairer.
    They'll probably remove the mouthpiece free of charge anyway.
    Much better than putting down £???, if you damage the instrument.

However, if 'Silver Surfer' needs a mouthpiece extractor regularly, I still think buying one is the best option.
    I've used this particular mouthpiece extractor for years and have never had any problems. No marks, scratches, or dents.
  7. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Local music shop is the best option. I had my trumpet kicked off it's stand a few years ago. Mouthpiece was well and truly wedged. Tried tapping with wood, sticking it in a door hinge (usually works) and I watched them use the tool. It's quite brutal! Twist, twist, twist, BANG!

They'll usually do it for free if you're a regular!
  8. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

An extractor used correctly can do no damage to the instrument as it doesn't attach to it.
    The tool rests onto the receiver, around the mouthpiece and pulls the mouthpiece against the instrument - normally even the mouthpiece will come out unmarked.
    Dan at Brassfix UK normally has some at good prices.