Mouthpiece cleaning

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by subtlevib, Feb 13, 2019 at 4:49 PM.

1. subtlevib

subtlevib Member

Hello!

I've got a tub full of old and tatty mouthpieces that with a bit of effort could look much cleaner and nicer, that I use for people to try out or for whole class type trying.

I know chemical cleaning is all the thing, but I wondered if anyone has any success with the larger ultrasonic cleaners (like the jewellery ones, but bigger)??

2. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I've had mine cleaned in a cheap ultrasonic jewellery cleaner; came out fine. Don't see why you'd particularly need a larger one?

3. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Ultrasonic will get the crap off/out nicely.

You'll still want some polish to shine up though.

4. subtlevib

subtlevib Member

Thanks, gents, I just, potentially, want a larger one because I have 61 mouthpieces of various sizes and would prefer to do a few at a time.

5. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

The only thing is (and I freely admit this is based only on hearsay, and I have no evidence for this), you might want to investigate whether some kind of licence is needed for anything bigger than the small ones.
    I only say this because I know of someone who wanted to install a bigger size industrial ultrasonic cleaner, and he had to have visits and surveys from environment health or somesuch, and there were problems because he lived near a colony of bats, who are, evidently seriously disturbed by ultrasound ...

6. subtlevib

subtlevib Member

Ooooh, well I wasn't planning on going industrial, just 1/2l sized. Don't want to hurt the bats - we have them around us.

7. pbirch

pbirch Active Member

before you put a lot of effort into these old mouthpieces, you should consider just how useful they might [or might not] be. they are likely to be too small for modern instruments

8. subtlevib

subtlevib Member

All tried and tested, but thanks for the thought.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice