Mouthpiece choice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by chris brookes, Apr 1, 2010.

1. chris brookes

chris brookes New Member

Finally managed to access the forum once more, after a considerable period of absence. After my last thread "Soprano blues" and with the response i got.
    I was wondering ? if anyone could advice me on what type of mouthpiece would probably best suit me in that - with a denis wick "S" i find the production of the higher notes are strangled and the level of volume therefore reduced, however with a bach no 7 mouthpiece while the upper register is easier to obtain i find the depth in cup to shallow for comfort.

Sarge :biggrin:
  2. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

Imho take your instrument and someone who's opinion you trust to a well stocked instrument dealer and spend time trying as many as you can.

you will get a lot of well intentioned advice but without seeing/hearing you play no one can advise you properly.

or seek out a teacher and have a lesson and pick their brain!
  3. GordonH

GordonH Member

Read my opinion on this issue here:

I used to play soprano cornet in a brass band and the difficulty was finding a mouthpiece which gave a reasonable sound while providing enough air support (resistance) without strangling things off. I think I used a Wick 5B in the end which is not designed for the purpose but worked for me.

Trying lots of mouthpieces may not help much as you really don't know how one is going to work out until you have settled into it.