Mouthpiece choice for old shank EEb tuba

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by B.Portas, Sep 26, 2013.

1. B.Portas

B.Portas Member

Hi there,

I've been playing my bands tiny 3 valve Eb from the 1920s for a while, and a week ago, bought my own equally old bass, but 4 valve, compensating and in near enough perfect condition.

I received a Heritage Wick 4 with it, and while it does the job, I get the feeling that I'd progress better with something a bit more suitable. I have pretty thick lips and the rim is a bit thin for my liking - in the event that I want to look at something new, what other options are there?

At the moment, a Denis Wick 3 seems the obvious choice, but what other mouthpieces are there for old shank British instruments, like my old Boosey & Co? You always hear about Bach, Perantucci, Mike Finn, Loud etc for large/modern bore instruments, but the only ones that I can find that cater for older instruments is Denis Wick. Not that theres anything wrong with them, but it'd be nice to look around, and find out if there is anything else out there that might suit me better.

Cheers :)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Eb
    EEb
    Heritage Wick 4
    old shank British instruments
    old bass
  3. pbirch

pbirch Member

there is actually nothing wrong the DW3 mouthpiece, and it is the experience of many people searching for something new, and they spend a couple of hundred pounds on mouthpieces, just to find that out. I would stick with it for now and work on your sound and technique.
    A Perantucci costs about £80 and a Mike Finn about £120, you could get 4 to 6 hours of lessons for that sort of money, which might be a better investment at this stage.

4. B.Portas

B.Portas Member

Yeah, it makes sense to stick with something you know well, rather than chop and change, but I wondered if there was anything actually on the market for older, smaller shank tubas. Having changed from euph, where there is a large variety, even for medium bores such as the imperial/new standard and Willson 2900, it makes me wonder if there were alternatives. A Wick 3 seems the only way to go right now.

5. pbirch

pbirch Member

perantucci's are available with a small shank, mr tuba might be your best bet

6. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

Loud are also available for the smaller shank size

I had a perantucci large shank and it played so sharp i stopped using it and had it made into a small shank for when playing older tuba's, works really well.

all of the loud range are made in large ( Euro ) shank and small ( American ) shank the smaller of which would suit your small shank needs. I use a LM-7 which is a bigger rim and cup compared to DW3 and larger than pt84 in perantucci, Not so big as a PT88 though. It suits me may not suit all players though.