Mouthpiece Charts Return

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by DocFox, Jun 15, 2009.

1. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

On the "All Brass Band Internet Radio" website, I have put back up the mouthpiece charts. People have been emailing me a lot for these pages.

They may be a little dated, as I have been worried more about the radio station.

Go to the radio station main page ( www.allbrassradio.com ) and follow the links. Email me (link is there too) if I am way out-of-date on some of the mouthpieces.

Cheers,

Jim

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    All Brass Band Internet Radio
  3. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

Hi there,

This looks V useful thanks!! But i don't suppose anyone has done, or has found a comparison chart which also includes the Alliance mouthpieces? (specifically tuba flavoured?)

Cheers

4. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Added to my charts. :)

Jim

5. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

Blinkin' marvellous!

Thanks for that.

6. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Hi Jim,

I don't suppose you've actually sat down and measured any of these? This is a great general resource, but the variations between specific manufacturers in their methods of speccing make it rather inaccurate in some ways (e.g. Schilke 59 wider than Bach 1G? Nope...)

The tables on Doug Elliott's site are the only ones that I've found that do something along these lines, but they're not nearly as complete as yours.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking this great resource you've put together, just flagging up one way in which to be careful when looking at it...

7. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Only a handful, even then there can be an argument about where the rim edge begins. To measure ALL of those, well, you would have to be very wealthy and buy a lot of mouthpieces.

Bach specs and actual measurements have been problematic over the years. The way a mouthpiece "feels" is dependent on more than width.

Doug gets as many complaints as I do. Although he actually measured mouthpieces, again, it is judgement as where the inner rim begins. I have measured several mouthpieces (like the old Conns on the charts that no specs where available -- my wallet and eBay found them out) several times with a digital caliper and got different measurements. I guess the best anyone can do is average those.

No problems. I get this kind of comment often. That is why on the top on each chart there is a disclaimer saying this a general comparison. Cup death, rim bite, rim shape, etc. can make a difference. If you were looking for a new Schilke and you had been playing a Bach 1, at least you would know that the 59 was in the "ballpark" and would not order a Schilke 56.

That is all I can ask for. I hope it is a little help for players.

Jim

8. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

You wouldn't realise that the closer equivalent to the Bach 1G is the Schilke 60, though.

In the end, from the perspective of the user, if serious accuracy is important there's not much to do except invest in mouthpieces yourself, and measure each one in as close to a consistent way as can be managed.. For myself, I have a geeky spreadsheet on my computer at home of all the mouthpieces that have passed through my hands (about 60). Then people's descriptions and comparisons combined with published specs will get me close enough to make an informed guess as to the characteristics of most new pieces.

9. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Most likely true, but not according to Bach.

This too, has been tried on a limited basis. It has similar pitfalls. Human error is much greater than machine error. It would depend on what the player likes.

Mi-T-Mist is a small spray disinfectant for mouthpieces. I carry a bottle in my case. If some someone wants to try one of my mouthpieces or my bone, they may. I disinfect the mouthpiece and let them try it.

I play a LOUD mouthpieces. They are quite different -- so I let people try it all the time. That is one of the nicest thing a player can do for another player. It lets them try the mouthpiece and/or your instrument so they can make comparisons.

Jim