Mouthpiece backbore shape???

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Matt_NTB, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Matt_NTB

Matt_NTB New Member

Hi all,

I'm looking at investing in a new (cornet) mouthpiece, have been on my Wick 4B for 20 years and fancy a bit of a change. Now, I get the difference in rim sizes, cups sizes and cup shapes but what difference does the shape of the backbore make? In particular some Wicks are 'open' and some 'v-shaped'?

To square the circle, I'm currently edging towards a Heritage (possibly a 4) if there's any advice/personal experience out there with that range?

Cheers

Matt

2. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Ignore it - play some and see how you feel about the whole.

Try the 4b and 4, but also try the 4 1/2 - cup is like the 4 but a little tighter throat, leaving it between the 4 and 4b to play.

3. nighttempla

nighttempla New Member

The v shaped backbore makes a brighter sound and is easier in the high register than open backbore.
    I tried the heritage and could not tell any difference in sound. The guy in the shop said the heritage sounded "tinny" compared with classic, so I opted for the latter.

4. Matt_NTB

Matt_NTB New Member

Thanks Tom. You're right, I need to try before I buy really but it's finding the time (and a we'll enough stocked shop!) to do it.

5. Matt_NTB

Matt_NTB New Member

Hi Night, that's interesting to know. £70+ for a tinny sound plays £40 doesn't sound particularly good value, no wonder you rarely see then being used!

6. GordonH

GordonH Active Member

A tighter backbore may lead to splatty articulation on a cornet, especially if it is a tighter feeling model.

The problem with changing mouthpiece is it takes a month to know if you have made a good choice, then a few weeks to go back to the old one. You need to identify what you want to achieve and don't move radically bigger or radically smaller to your current model.