Mouthpiece advice

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by MrsP, May 22, 2011.

1. MrsP

MrsP New Member

Hi

I have recently moved from tenor horn to cornet and wondering what mouthpiece would be best as the mouthpiece does feel a bit like a pea-shooter! I know it will take time and practice but wondering where would be a good starting point as the mouthpiece I have been supplied with has a chip on it so would like to replace it anyway.

I used to play on a Denis Wick 2 for tenor horn and had a really good range and stamina but due to changes no seats in the tenor horn ranks so cornet it is!
    Thanks

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    mouthpiece
    starting point
    changes
    range
    Thanks
  3. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

Mouthpiece choice is intensely personal; what works for one person won't work for another but having said that if you've moved to the cornet back row I might suggest you try a Denis Wick 3. I would avoid the Heritage range for now; good as they are you might find the rim a little thin having come from a large mouthpiece.

That might not be the best choice if you've moved to Rep or front row though as the 3 can be hard work in the upper ranges unless you have really good stamina.

Andy

4. AndrewL

AndrewL Member

You may get lots of conflicting advice here but I would suggest the following as a starting point. DW 4 on the front row/rep and DW 3on the back row. If you are used to a bigger mouthpiece you may get away with a DW 2 on the back row.

As we are all different this may not suit you so be prepared to experiment. Hope you enjoy your cornet playing.

5. MrsP

MrsP New Member

Thank you both. Will toddle off to the music shop soon and try some out 

6. MrsP

MrsP New Member

Have ended up with a Vincent Bach 3C and loving it. Lovely tone at bottom range and top notes are very much improved! It's like I'm on a new instrument! I had hoped mouthpiece would help a bit but it's brilliant.
    Thanks for the help guys 

7. AndrewL

AndrewL Member

Good to see you have found a suitable mouthpiece. With Bach mouthpieces as you may have to take a bit more care to ensure that they blend with the rest of the band and don't cut through the band, especially with higher notes and louder dynamics.