mouthpiece advice

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by kiwiinoz, Jun 21, 2010.

1. kiwiinoz

kiwiinoz Member

newly returned player wanting advice on mouthpieces. I previously used Dwick Sop mouthpiece but want advice as to which mouthpiece would be better to use?

2. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

Hi and welcome to TMP....IMHO you will get a lot of opinions and wel intentioned advice on this question, but without seeong or hearing you play no one can give you the answer you need as mouthpiece choice is a personal one.

I would suggest as a returning player to go and have a couple of lessons with a pro trumpet player to make sure your embouchure etc is working correctly and ask for their advice having seen you play!
  3. John_D

John_D Member

You don't say what instrument this is for. Sop or Bb cornet?

I'd agree with the idea of a lesson or two, but with a good CORNET player rather than a trumpet player. Too many trumpet players think a good sound is one that will cut through steel, rather than one which can blend with a section.
  4. Until you find someone to take a lesson from, my advice would be to take it easy. Avoid fatigue, and do some buzzing exercises on the mouthpiece.
  5. kiwiinoz

kiwiinoz Member

Thanks for your advice. Decided to re start playing on a B flat cornet for a while to get chops going again. I forgot how hard it is to get the lip started. Thanks again
  6. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

Agreed - just keep buzzing, and don't wear yourself out! Ultimately the best mouthpiece is whichever one enables you to play at your best (the letters and numbers are ultimately for those who make and sell them).

How long have you been off playing? Depending on how long it's been you may find your chops have changed significantly, so it would be wise to keep an open mind.

Best of luck and - above all - enjoy it!

7. kiwiinoz

kiwiinoz Member

thanks for taking the time to reply. am trying to get back into it and am looking at buying my own cornet to replace the horrific 1960's Imperial i have been lent!! Wish me luck and any more advice more than happily accepted. do you know of any good practise techniques and maybe books i could use??