Mouse Invasion!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by caramelbunny, Mar 11, 2006.

1. caramelbunny

caramelbunny Member

Help needed please guys.....

We have mouse invasion in our lovely student house ;)

Thing is, we have difference of opinion on how to deal with them. We all agree they have to go, however the others want poison and snap-traps :(

I want to catch my new little furry friends and set them free in the local park :D

So the race is on....I have 2 days to catch Sebastian and his friends or the traps go down....does anyone out there know how to make a DIY mouse-trap that will humanely capture them?

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

How can you tell Sebastian apart from his friends?

3. caramelbunny

caramelbunny Member

He is the fatest one.....he lives in my bedroom....I wanted to check where he was going so I laid Mars Bar trails for him this evening when I went to band (after being told they like chocolate) and sure enough I have just got back and they are all gone!!!

The others have been feeding on our coeliac housemate's gluten free pasta in the kitchen (more health concious then Seb ;))

4. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Bear in mind when you release them mice are homing creatures and have been known to find their way back from up to 3 miles away.

5. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

As they said in The Karate Kid:

"A mouse faces you. He is the enemy. An enemy deserves no mercy."

(I'm paraphrasing slightly)

If you catch them and release them, they will come back. I speak from bitter experience (also in student hovel, albeit several hundred moons ago). Get a cat, then at least their deaths will serve a purpose in the food chain. Also once you've got rid of them, find the holes and stop them up, preferably with that clever expanding filler that you can buy in spray cans from B&Q, otherwise exterminating your existing tenants just means creating roomy accommodation for a whole new batch.

6. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I would set a trap with a sticky sweet on. If you buy a proper trap it will kill the mouse instantly. This is far better in my opinion than putting poison down and the mouse eating a small dose and suffering for a long time. You do need to do it ASAP though or you will have hundreds of them! Set traps in all the rooms and leave them out for a good week even after you think they have all gone.

7. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

You can buy humane traps which catch the mice without harming them.
    When you let them go, just make sure its a long way from your house so they don't come back!

8. HBB

HBB Active Member

At my old work, we had rats, and they managed to gnaw into my boss's car!!

9. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

We got rats AND Mice! ... mind you ours are self inflicted! :D

Mind you we have mice who live under our shed and sneak out to eat the rabbit food at night. The cat tends to kill them, but the dog usually eats them (the sound is horrible! yeuch!).

10. rossy67

rossy67 Member

i too have suffered from our little furry friends...i put down 2 humane traps with jaffa cakes in them...caught the little darling and drove it quite a few miles away and released it into fields.....i then bought a mouse radar thingy...sends out a high pitched sound to stop mice coming in worked a treat havent suffered since and they weren't expensive :)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Sebastian
    Thing
    lovely student house
    Mouse Invasion
    new little furry friends
  12. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

Sorry people - mice are pests and vermin. If you get rid of one - a dozen more will be back in their place. They carry disease, fleas, mites, and other nasty stuff. The whole cutesy idea of 'humanely' dealing with them is a total load. First off, you're only displacing the problem to someone else with the probability of it coming back, and even worse depending on if a pregnant female is involved. Perpetuating it, even.

You should be more consciencious of dealing with pest problems, considering the new strains of diseases coming into realization. Yeah, it's called 'bird flu,' but it's not transmitted only by birds. Think about it. What caused and perpetuated the Black Plague that swept Europe in the middle-ages. Rats and other vermin.

I'd suggest disposing of them in the most expedient and efficient means possible. Snap-traps are the way to go. Quick and painless (basically) since the mouse won't know what got him. Then drop it into a zip-baggie and toss it away with the rest of the trash.

All this nonsense of driving them miles away to be 'humane,' may help you sleep better at night, but how much petrol did you just waste for one mouse - how many times? And you say us Americans are decadent with our petrol consumption habits.

13. cornishscot

cornishscot Member

We have a cat (who, incidentally, can catch mice if he wants to) but we still get the occasional live mouse to deal with ourselves - last one moved in about 6 weeks ago - little ****** managed to snatch the choc. bait off the snap trap twice (trap didn't spring close either!) before moving on to poison bait. He died in the same place the bait was located which, I guess, was lucky for us as I hear they can smell a bit when the die and start to rot away. Fortunately there have been no more since but the poison bait is there under the kitchen cabinet, i.e. out of puss's way (don't want him eating it do we?) just in case any more fancy their chances!

14. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

And silly old me thought it was ok to have differing opinions! Trust me, I'm not cute or nonsensical. I just don't believe in killing anything unneccesarily.

In MY opinion and experience, humane traps DO work. When I had this problem in a student house (seems like we all did at some point :rolleyes:) we caught the mice and walked them a couple of miles away to a park. They didn't come back and neither did their friends once we'd stopped the holes up.

15. Trigger

Trigger Member

All I can say is...Unbelieveable...s*ds law!!

This morning I signed in to tMP to have a little look at what's going on and I came across this thread. I thought to myself poor caramelbunny it's a right pain having mice - I'm so pleased I don't have them....

How silly of me to speak so soon...

Low and behold I go to feed the rabbit (food kept in the garage) and would you Adam and Eve it, the bag of food was all over the floor in corners where all sorts of creepy crawley things like to live. It had been nibbled by mice!! The worst thing was that I had to sweep it all up and go near the spiders - it was a traumatic experience.

Still, I have to agree with Alex, I can't kill animals - Although I also don't have time to sit in a spider infested garage waiting to catch mice.

16. caramelbunny

caramelbunny Member

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the replies....any tips on how to actually catch them though??

At the moment I have 2 of the box-looking traps that tilt and shut them in when they go in....despite tempting with peanut butter in them I havent yet caught him :(

However, things moved up a gear today when I spotted him near my fav pair of party shoes....when I investigated I found a little mouse-poop in the one shoe, not at all happy...so it's now officially war!! :mad:

Not sure how much longer I can go for the humane approach as he really needs to be on his way now....any home-made trap suggestions to increase my chances of catching him from clever engineer-types? :)

17. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Standby Pest Control Warrington are the best pest controllers , I have used in the North West.

18. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Nooooo! Don't hurt them! They're so cute :(

19. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Sorry Vicki they spread disease and are horrible , Rats are minging..they can disclocate there skeleton and squeeze under doors..foul , rats and mice are incontinent and pee all the time , ugh...............sorry not convinced about the cuteness factor. still there is a rat 15 feet away from you at all times.
    best way to catch them is a professional pest controller..no hassle , your landlord should be able to sort that out for you. I would deffo recomend Andy at Standby in Warrington tho.

20. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

There's nothing wrong with differing opinions at all - so don't be like that. There's only one truly humane way to deal with critters like mice - and that's to leave them alone altogether and simply go on about your business, peacefully co-existing with them. Even if you're taking every precaution not to physically injure the mouse when 'getting rid' of them, you're still displacing it away from it's natural habitat of your house. Now it's expected to adapt and overcome the new environment you've thrust it into by removing it from yours. But Hey - if it gets squished by a car or eaten by a cat that it wouldn't have encountered while living with you - no worries, right? It's not your fault after all... you were doing the mouse a favor by 'humanely' exiling it to an unfamiliar environment after all. :)rolleyes: backatcha)

Like others have mentioned, mice (and other pests) can carry diseases that will effect you in the end. Say your cat eats an infected mouse, and snuggles up with you afterwards - now you're susceptable and possibly a carrier. And how many people do you interract with daily? It snowballs from there.

At the end of the day, having a mouse infestation (meaning, more than one) is not something you want (eventually can be unhealthy), and should be dealt with in a manner that removes the unwanted occupants without pawning them off onto someone else.

Answer this: Do you treat roaches with the same level of 'humane' decency? If so, then you really don't get it. Why do you treat them differently? Because they're not as 'cute' as mice. Hint: The main objective of mice, rats, roaches, fleas, cousins-in-law, lawyers, and the like is the same - survival in conditions better than living in the wild... and if you can provide for that, so much the better. That's the Parasite Creedo.

While you can't eliminate every possibility for spreading and/or contracting disease, you shouldn't have any hesistation in dealing with the ones you actually can do something about.

</soapbox>

21. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I will send our cat up i think she will help out for a very long time:clap:

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Sebastian
    Thing
    lovely student house
    Mouse Invasion
    new little furry friends