Mouldy Bread!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by David Mann, Jul 28, 2007.

  1. David Mann

    David Mann Member

    If bread goes green and mouldy, obviously I chuck it in the bin. BUT I love stilton and danish blue cheese! Is it the same mould? If I make a sandwich with fresh bread and blue cheese, is it microbiologically any different to mouldy bread and cheddar? I'm so NOT going to try this, by the way!
     
  2. tpcornet12

    tpcornet12 Member

    :-? Think it probably is different! I'm a bit funny with bread - when there's one day left on the use-by date I'll only toast it and when it passes the date I always throw it away. But I'd rarely throw cheese away.

    Also, while we're taking about perishables - there are other foods I don't mind when they get a bit old - mushrooms for instance (up to 2 weeks past date) but aubergines I throw away when they fell a bit soft.

    BTW, Is there an award for the most random thread of 2007?
     
  3. Bayerd

    Bayerd Active Member

    Don't be silly, there's nowt wrong with picking the green bits off and eating the rest, might be a bit dry, but other than that there's not really owt wrong with it. Best thing to do with any food, if it smells off it is off, if it looks off but doesn't smell it probably won't kill ya.
     
  4. on_castors

    on_castors Member

    Mouldy food is not legally unfit, per se, and for this reason sellers of such things have historically been charged for selling food that is "not of the substance demanded," ie. the buyer had expected to be sold bread, and not mould. They might not be quite unfit, so rather than the seller get away with selling substandard food, the case is taken that will most likely produce a conviction. I have taken many cases to the Magistrates in the past for just that.

    However whether in practical terms the food should not be eaten, well, it isn't just that simple:

    Obviously if the particular moulds are not edible types, then they could and CAN be VERY toxic, an example of this is moulds which grow on peanuts and produce aflatoxins, poisonous enough to people but very toxic to birds. As foods intended to be sold with mould eg. blue cheese, have organisms carefully innoculated into the cheese, with specific strains like Penicillium roquefortii being carefully cultivated for the purpose. Something like the salty environment of a cheese will only support certain types too, keeping other spoilage organisms at bay. However with general spoilage and the moulds that are floating around in the air, you are never quite so sure which they are, and I personally would tend NOT to eat mouldy foods for that reason - In the past, for example, Jam or everyday hard cheese that had gone mouldy was widely seen as something that could be eaten after the mould raft was removed, however more recent work has found traces of toxic products in such things, often of a carcinogenic nature, so current thoughts are DON'T eat mouldy food!

    As bread that is mouldy is going to taste musty, and stale, I personally have never been that close to death by starvation to WANT to eat it!
     
  5. David Mann

    David Mann Member

    Should have asked you at tea break last rehearsal! Think the biscuits are OK though..
     
  6. Di

    Di Active Member

    Now what a shame that is, just got back from 2 weeks holiday and opened the bread bin. Oh oh. Guess who forgot to empty it before going away. :oops::eek:
     
  7. TheMusicMan

    TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

    Beurgh Di.... I bet that was colourful eh!!
     
  8. Di

    Di Active Member

    Just a bit. :-?
     
  9. Leyfy

    Leyfy Active Member

    my housemate left his coffee mug and it grew RED mould..... ewww!!!

    Wouldn't mind, but he has a microbiology degree, and is a science teacher, so he should know better! lol
     
  10. tpcornet12

    tpcornet12 Member

    I remember when I was younger growing the most amazing mould from the dregs of a bottle of WKD!!
     
  11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

    Find more discussions like this one
    Mouldy Bread
    fresh bread
    danish blue cheese
    sandwich
    stilton
  12. SamHayday

    SamHayday Member

    Why make such a fuss about whether its edible or not? If you think it might be off, throw it away. Its only bread. Having said that, I eat so much I hardly ever have food long enough for it to grow mould.

    Slightly related video clip : http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=24277
     
  13. Mouldy bread is exactly like Danish Blue - the cheese makers have kept this a closely guarded secret for many a year. Now that you have discovered the secret - you need spend no more money on the cheese.......... :)
     
  14. brassneck

    brassneck Active Member

    - better you than me! I wouldn't want to risk food poisoning if something edible has mould on it!

    http://www.moldbacteria.com/newsletters/2005/sep2005.html
     
  15. sparkling_quavers

    sparkling_quavers Active Member

    When one of our Physics teachers was leaving at the end of this term. He tidied up his desk to find a coffee cup which had been left by the PREVIOUS occupant. It must have been there for at least the last 2 years! Lovely!
     
  16. EIBB_Ray

    EIBB_Ray Member

  17. sevenhelz

    sevenhelz Active Member

    Along a similar vein, I'm gluten-intolerant and have been told at some point that I should stay away from blue cheese as some part of it is cultivated in some kind of wheat-related fashion. I'm hazy on the details, as you can tell - I'm not particularly interested in blue cheese so the question is moot, but can anyone clear up for me whether it's true that I need to stay away?
    Ta.
    x
     

Share This Page