MotoGP 2008

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Thirteen Ball, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Well, I was greatly looking forward to the start of the 2008 Motorcycle grand prix season, hoping that teams other than ducati could have worked out how to make weedy little 800cc engines fast.

Qualifying had promised much, with two class rookies 1 and 2 on the grid, and michelin tyres resurgent over the previously dominant bridgestones....

...and strangely enough, nothing was even slightly different.

Casey stoner got away in 6th place and was making no progress at all until he hit the 1km long straight.... and that was the end of that.

Five laps later, with five passes on either the front or the back straight (No do-or-die late braking or corner manouvers for our casey) it was game over.

I suppose my main point is, does anyone else think that over-use of restrictive rules is ruining motorsport?

Overtaking manouvers in formula 1 are a thing of the past. Places only change hands when a car is in the pits - and technology such as traction control and antilock brakes take a vast amount of pressure off the driver. And only two teams stand any chance of winning a title,

The same thing has happened in MotoGP, when an average-ability rider (who chucked his bike at the scenery a whole bunch of times when he was riding a honda without the electronic aids,) can not only win a world championship, but set off like he means to win another one. Especially as there are seven or eight better riders out there who just can't match the Ducati's engine and electronics.

Is it just me or is the human element a wee bit immaterial these days?