Motivation

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Big Twigge, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Like many students, I suspect that I am not alone in feeling unmotivated this Easter. I'm finding myself sitting at blank computer screen with thousands of pieces of paper around me and achieving nothing. I have two big assignments and don't know which to do so i'm doing bits of both and getting nowhere.

How do other people get motivated to work and manage to ignore the distractions that cups of tea, telephoning people, msn, radio, tv, having a bath, going to the shops and everything else provides?!!

You'd think after spending 2 years in 6th form, 2 years at uni first time and another year and half so far on this one, I'd have mastered the art of getting things done...alas no - help!

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- go to the library and get the work done there! ;)

(... more like, if you live near another university/college library see if you can get access to finish assignments!)

3. Lisa

Lisa Member

I'm having the same problem! :( I think the best things to do are go to somewhere like a library where all is quiet and sombre and undistracting, and also turn off the computer and work on paper instead - I tend to get more done that way!

However, I'm clearly not following my own advice! Instead I was reading the very interesting 'one potato two potato' thread on here which led me to thinking about the potato song ('In my little garden'), which made me look the song up on google, and I have now just wasted the last 20 minutes singing along to that song and others on the singalong section of the tweenies website :(

I think that's exactly part of the problem - too many years of having to study are getting boring - for me anyway!

4. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

It's no different when you graduate.....I have my class's assessment file to type up onto their files, they have been sitting in my bag for over a week and need to be done before the end of the holidays. At least you actually seem to be doing some work which is more than I have been doing. I can see a busy few days coming up for me. All the best with your assignments!:) At the moment I am still enjoying my holiday and that's the way it's going to stay for a few more days!

When I was in Uni I used to do most of my work late at night, between about 11pm and 3am....it was always so quiet and I normally didn't have lectures until the afternoon.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2006
  5. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

ooooh this sounds so familiar! hang on.....let me work out why............oh it's me right now!! I have a DT assignment due next monday, a science Evaluation next tuesday and 3 maths assignments which should have been done before the end of term. I just really can't be bothered tho, I'm well and truely in Holiday mode!!
    I think i cant get it done becuase i still see myself as having a whole week of free time, if i know i dont have much time to do it, i'll do it.

when you work out some good motivation please let me know!

6. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I can't help except to say that I work well under pressure, like, all 5 sets of books need to be marked for tomorrow's lessons or I get hauled over the coals by my HoD (VERY painful). :hammer:hammer

7. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

No motivation, but i'm enjoying the red wine this evening...it's particularly good for coveringup work worries....I'm about a thousand times more relaxed than I was earlier and as for the stress....what stress!:)

8. Alisop

Alisop Member

Yum red wine! Me too!

9. sugarandspice

I found my comfort in the Vodka last night, wouldnt say it was relaxing but it was a cracking good night out!

I'll get started on my work tomorrow.......she says!!

10. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

I find a good plan is to have more than one project 'on the go' at a time. That way when you should be doing one, you can do a different one...You feel self-righteous because you're doing work, but you never do the work you're supposed to and nothing ever gets finished in time.

That way, everyone's a winner... well, maybe except the people who are waiting for whatever it is you're supposed to be working on!

Dave

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    computer screen
    thousands
    pieces
    paper
    assignments
  12. sugarandspice

I find cleaning is always my "other project" I cant actually sit down and start my work till i've put it off by cleaning my room, doing laundy and cleaning the kitchen (which yes, does usually involve washing all 7 house mates dishes) It's not until i've done all that i can even attempt any work!
    Usually works out my room is ultra tidy around deadline week........total pit for the rest oft the time tho! xxx

13. brassybabe

brassybabe Member

This may sound strange but it works for me.
    Try working really late at night into the early hours, that way there is nothing on tv, nobody up in the house and nobody on msn. Plenty of coffee and toast will keep you going. Good luck with it. I will be doing the same the next few nights. I have my final PGCE assignment to do as well as type up lesson plans and evaluations. joy!!

14. Lisa

Lisa Member

I'm an obsessive cleaner too - and it does get worse when I have lots of work I'm supposed to be doing!

I think that dirty dishes (left by other housemates) is my single highest stress factor of being a student - it drives me crazy! - deadlines are nothing compared to unwashed washing-up! :mad::mad::mad:

15. sugarandspice

That's very common in my house, i don't seem to be able to work past 1 am very well, but some of my housemates have been up till 4 or 5 doing assignments. I like my sleep too much to waste time like that!! :)

16. sugarandspice

Tuna Tins. Empty and left by the sink to be washed out and recyled. I hate Tuna, I can't stand the smell and the whole ordeal drives me insane!!

17. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

That works for me too! Well, it has done in the past. I love (maybe not the appropriate word...:confused:) working at night.

It's not working for me now though :rolleyes:! I've got a practice log, three critiques, two journals, three essays, and a few conclusion type things left to do before the 5th of May :eek:!! And I've got a birthday to celebrate between now and then aswell...hmmm.

18. I found it really hard to work at Uni...I kid myself now that it was because there was nothing that gave me a specific aim- the truth was I just wasn't disciplined enough- much more fun to go out and Party!:guiness

Now I'm working in a job I really enjoy, it's more of an epiphany, it gives me a reason to get out there and make a difference- anyone who is looking for a change in career, move into waste management!