Most Under-Rated Brass Band Composer

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by JR, Oct 13, 2004.

1. JR

JR Member

Just a few nominations for most under-rated composers:

(1) Gareth Wood - Introduction and Allegro, Tombstone Arizona and Hinemoa all worth reviving as test-pieces - great, imaginative scoring and harmonies

(2) Peter Yorke - he didnt just write The Shipbuilders! - Jodrell Bank, Automation, The Explorers, Gallions Reach - why don't these get played anymore?

(3) Maurice Johnstone - I think he wrote Fairey's signature march The Beaufighters - also responsible for the Overture:Sea Dogs and County Palatine

(4) Bruce Broughton - any chance of a new test-piece - it's 18 years since his brilliant California Legend was chosen for the areas (I know he's really an SA composer...)

(5) Leighton Lucas - for Chorale and Variations as well as Symphonic Suite (I prefer the former)

Any other suggestions??

john roberts

2. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Henry Geehl - Normandy, Oliver Cromwell, On The Cornish Coast, Scena Sinfonica etc.

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

For me, it's got to be Elgar Howarth. Since his pioneering efforts with Grimey in the '70s he has somehow managed to stay in the shadows too much in my opinion.

4. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

Bruce Broughton was jointly commisioned by the British Open and by the North American Brass Band Championships to write a testpiece for the 2001 contests. The piece, called "Masters of Time and Space", was used in the North American Championships, but was rejected by the Open, Bram Gay's version of "Les Preludes" being used instead. I would love to hear it, and also his other test pieces (such as California Legend), since I am only familiar with his SA music. Let's hope that he hasn't been put off writing for brass bands in the future.

5. JR

JR Member

i didnt know that - i'm shocked!
    I sincerely hope he hasnt been put off - we desperately need new music of quality

john roberts

6. Jonno

Jonno Member

Andrew Duncan, well-known for his arrangements for Band he has also composed some crackers as evident on the cd "Reflections of Freedom" - Reflections of Freedom, Trombone Concerto, Moon Pictures and A Hebridean Suite to name but a few.

7. Tuba Dave

Tuba Dave Member

I think Edward Gregson (of Connotations, tuba concerto and many others fame) is quite underated. :)

8. choirmaster

choirmaster Member

[IMGLEFT]I think Edward Gregson (of Connotations, tuba concerto and many others fame) is quite underated[/IMGLEFT] .

To be perfectly honest, I think he has to be one of the most over-rated composers.

9. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

I don't think he's over-rated, but I wouldn't agree with the opposite as well. Most people are aware of him and at least some of his music, and I've rarely come across poeple who don't like his music.

10. Oliver Waespi is extremely under-rated as a composer. He is of Swiss descent and the RNCM band are perfroming his concerto for brass band - Land's end, tonight (14/10/2004) in the presence of the composer. This work was written for the Swiss brass band championships. Excellent stuff.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Gareth Wood - Introduction and Allegro
    The Explorers
    Maurice Johnstone
    Peter Yorke
    Tombstone Arizona
  12. tim

tim Member

Arthur Butterworth Only every remebered for Odin but his other work is fantastic paticularly sinfonia concertante for horn and baritone!

13. Yoofman

Yoofman Member

Don't forget Sinfonietta Pastorale as well ....

14. ted

ted Member

Arthur Butterworth has a whole CD of his works played by Black Dyke!

Odin is what's being forgotten and that has to be one of the best test pieces ever.

Ted

15. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I should have a copy of a recording back in the States that I can dig up from one of our bands concerts for you.

I like Jim Curnows music quite a bit. He doesn't seem to be talked about or played muh here in the UK. I don't know if its because you haven't heard of him much or just think he's rubbish. Regardless, he would be on my list of most underrated (in the UK)

16. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

I have to agree here - I remember when Introduction & Allegro was used for the areas in the late 70's/early 80's and there was a great deal of grumbling about being "too modern" but it was (and still is) a fantastic piece of music and for all the shed builders out there - get on to your MD coz the percussion part to Hinemoa is great (good atmospheric music as well).

17. tim

tim Member

I realise he has this CD as it is my music of choice at the moment but you never hear his name mentioned among the greats of Wilby, Sparke Gregson etc when he clearly is that class. Not to take away from any of them as they are all fabulous composers. I just think Butterworth deserves more recognition.

18. JR

JR Member

I totally agree - great to see Gareth Wood has some support. Young people in p-articular would enjoy Intro and Allegro/Hinemoa and percussion would have a field day
    Intro and Allegro was the 3rd (yes the old 3rd section!) section test at the area in 1979

john roberts

19. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

Maybe so, but for me, until his outdated attitude to percussion changes, I won't acknowledge him as one of the best composers in the band world.

20. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Here in the Low Lands, Curnow is played quite regularly. With my band, we have been particularly succesful with Trittico (which we played in Kerkrade in 2001).

How well known are the Belgian and Dutch composers in the U.K.? Of course there is Frank Bernaerts, but I was more thinking about our more "serious" composers like Piet Swerts (Chain), Jan Van der Roost (Excalibur), Leon Vliex (Points), Johan De Meij (next year's test piece for the Europeans), Rob Goorhuis, Hardy Mertens (Aragorn).... Most of them compose mainly for wind bands (or for fanfare bands like my own) and only do brass band pieces on commission.

21. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

I've played his Lord of the Rings symphony, and it is a truly amazing piece of music. If he can transfer those skills to writing for band then we're in for a treat.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Gareth Wood - Introduction and Allegro
    The Explorers
    Maurice Johnstone
    Peter Yorke
    Tombstone Arizona