Most surprising result for a long time?

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Bbmad, Mar 8, 2015.

1. markh

markh Member

Is it just, maybe, that the adjudicators split the responsibility for choosing? i.e one was tasked with picking the best cornet and the other chose the best instrumentalist? Not saying I agree with the approach but it may explain the inconsistency.

2. casanova

casanova Member

I think the whole set of results were a surprise.

3. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

The more I think about it, the less surprising it gets. As has been mentioned, Carlton are a strong outfit and have performed well over the years.
    It is in a way a surprise to those who rely on 4BR who before during and after the contest predicted Grimey, BR and Dyke to be in the top 3. Then again 4BR predict this outcome every year, despite it not having happened since 2002 and before then 1989.

4. casanova

casanova Member

Im not just talking about the top 4 placings. Id have loved to have known what we apparently did so badly to deserve coming 9th. Maybe our curse was following the big 3.

5. st magnus

st magnus New Member

Having heard all thirteen bands i have to say the positions for me were about right. The top 4 were ecxellent and 5 6and7 also put on really good shows albet with one are two slips some others were very rigid and mechanical in there aproach to the music and the bottom three struggled with the piece. A good contest on a super piece

6. DS2014

DS2014 Active Member

It was apparently a storming start to the contest with those three bands setting the early pace at a very high level. Might your low placing be down to there simply being a lot of bands at a similarly very high level but with your band maybe making a handful more individual errors than others? Looking back at the 4BR live action feed, they do mention a few 'blips'. That said, your performance would probably have won you the NW Area, since the adjudicators were scathing in their assessment of the standard in the Championship section in the NW.

7. st magnus

st magnus New Member

i dont think you did badly at all but some you win some you dont but overall i think the results were fair enough and i listened to them all

8. st magnus

st magnus New Member

the adjudicators on stage praised the performances of the bands placed in the first seven

9. casanova

casanova Member

We know we didnt nail it like we could have, and id have accepted a 6th or possibly 7th. But nah never a 9th for me :cool:

Oh well. Just have to hope they pick a piece with a bit more bass trom for the open! :wink:

10. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

To be honest, it's a contest. Only 1 band is generally happy!

Most recordings are now around on Soundcloud etc. Have a listen and make your own minds up!

11. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

so how many other bands did you hear?

none of us can judge our own bands performance fairly.
    firstly we are sat in the middle so how can we hear what the whole bad sounds like?
    also, we are all biased towards ourselves.

My own band played number 2, thought we were OK but knew we could have played better. Bottom half would be understandable, but last?
    I didn't listen to any other bands, other than number one from the other side of the stage door, so must take the adjudicators result as fair.

12. casanova

casanova Member

I heard from 6 onwards so i missed only 3 of the bands that placed above us. Ive heard the official recording of ours since as well. I havent said at any point that their decision wasnt fair, just that I dont agree with it. I just think weve been done by having to follow on the big 3 whearas others that followed on the slightly lower placings may seem a better performance in contrast.

13. DS2014

DS2014 Active Member

Carlton certainly did give a good performance: I took Andy's advice above, and listened on Soundcloud

14. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

fair enough, the result is down to the opinions of the adjudicators but we can all have our own opinions

15. halsasaurus

halsasaurus Member

It sort of makes sense if you are sharing out the prizes

16. Uncle Bryn

Uncle Bryn Member

As a Welshman whose lived in Scotland for 15 years and is now back in Wales I can claim a neutral stance. I have the added bonus of having been at the contest.

I had Grimey, Dyke,Carlton B&R in that order. I thought that Kirsty Abbots was clearly the best instrumentalist on the day so in putting 2 and 2 together I can see where the adjudicators got their decision so I don't see it as a strange result.

17. Tubaloo

Tubaloo New Member

I have to say having listened to the recordings on soundcloud and youtube the bands at the NW Area have been rather harshly done to. I was not impressed by the top performances at the Yorkshire. If websites are going to report on the contests they should report fairly across all the areas. We all know that the Yorkshire Are has more prestige than the others and that the NW severely lacks any atmosphere but that is not down to the bands and they shouldn't be punished by unfair commentary or personal bias to a more 'enjoyable' contest. A performance is a performance regardless of the venue!

18. tallyman

tallyman Member

Boohoo Tubaloo, 4br pointed out that the wurzels were toss as well. Hard done to......... or a performance is still a performance regardless of venue ??

19. I heard all the bands in Championship section and felt that Carlton Main Frickley were VERY lucky indeed to get into first place and into the top 4 as well.
    Black Dyke,Grimethorpe,Brighouse& Rothwell were clearly better than them and a lot of people thought so as well
    I only play in a jazz band but even i could tell
    Very disappointed if this is how brass band contests are judged