Most surprising result for a long time?

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Bbmad, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

Yorkshire Areas 2015 Championship.
    Did anyone expect that result?

2. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

You have to feel sorry for Rothwell, sandwiched between 4 bands who go to London and they don't.

3. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

Indeed, it a strange system. Also seems odd that the best overall instrumentalist, a cornet player did not win the prize for the best cornet player??

4. DS2014

DS2014 Active Member

Well, the winner is not such a surprise: when you look at their three, and even their four, year aggregate, Carlton are the best band in Yorkshire

5. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

That is probably true. Had 4 Bars Rest foxed and #regs2015 on twitter certainly has some raised eyebrows.

6. DS2014

DS2014 Active Member

Granted, 4BR didn't call the winner, but they had the top five identified. I also seem to recall that the pundit in the hall said that Kirsty Abbotts was so good that she might have tipped it in Carlton's favour. Which brings me to your other point. How could she be the best instrumentalist but not be the best cornet?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  7. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I was wondering this myself last night while watching the awards come out one by one on the Twitter feed.

"Best Soloist: Michael Dodd, Euphonium, Grimethorpe"

Okay, that's the best instrumentalist out of the way, let's see the placings now...

"Best Instrumentalist: Kirsty Abbotts, Cornet, Carlton Main"

So that's pretty odd. What's the difference between Best Soloist and Best Instrumentalist? Still, on to the placings...

"Best Cornet: Iain Culross, Grimethorpe"

Eh?

8. tallyman

tallyman Member

Grimey were class and clear winners for me, Frickley were very musical and deserve their place at london, Brighouse bought in a band again and proved you can't beat a settled team and the dogs just are'nt as good as some people would have you believe.

9. bannisa

bannisa Member

Brighouse didn't buy in a band actually. We had one Eb bass and repiano cornet that aren't full time members. Both of these positions are filled commencing at first rehearsal back on Thursday.
    Far be it for me to stick up for Black Dyke but winning the nationals and Open in one year and performing 40-50 concerts all over the country makes them a pretty good band in my eyes!
    Congratulations to all the 13 bands who competed I say.

Andrew Bannister
    soprano cornet
    B&R

10. tallyman

tallyman Member

Sorry my bad, it looked like most of the cornet section and most of the bass section from where I was sitting. Please accept my apologies.
    PS. I never said Dyke were not a good band just not as good as some would have you believe.
    Congratulations to the cornet dep that was playing sop parts.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Championship.
    Yorkshire
    surprising result
    long time
    Yorkshire Areas
  12. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

That's quite a statement to make! ;)

13. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

It is is quite a statement to make and quite a sensible one too.
    4barsrest for example would have you believe that Black Dyke would win, going as far to say in their prediction that they are so good that "everyone else could be playing for second place." Well, on that analysis I could barely believe it when they didn't win.

14. marc71178

marc71178 Member

Always embarassing for the anonymous trolls to be stymied by truth isn't it.

15. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

Predictable predictions

Hi 'Marc' nice to see you again, as always you have provided a valuable contribution and insight to the topic at hand.

I have done some research, here are the 4br predictions for the last 4 years;
    2015; 1. Dyke 2. Grimethorpe 3. BR
    2014; 1. Grimethorpe 2. Dyke 3. BR
    2013; 1. Dyke 2. BR 3. Grimethorpe
    2012; 1. Dyke 2. Br 3. Grimethorpe
    2011; 1. BR 2. Dyke 3. Grimethorpe

In zero of those contests have all three bands finished in the top three.
    I wonder if in 2016 4BR might show some journalistic imagination and give the other bands the credit they deserve?

16. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

This was also discussed on Facebook, but I don't think it is quite as illogical as it appears at first.

As to the distinction between best soloist and best instrumentalist, I would presume the latter refers to the player's overall contribution to the performance, rather than in specific solo passages. Once the best instrumentalist has been settled on, it's a question of considering the other prizes on offer, which vary greatly from one area to another (there are similar anomalies at Brass in Concert, but these are less noticeable because of the greater number of awards on offer).

It makes sense to me to share out the awards between three players, even though a case could be made for Kirsty to win in all three categories.

17. DS2014

DS2014 Active Member

I'm not sure that your response clarifies matters much, Peter. There are still two things that I'm confused about:
    1. according to the people in the hall, Kirsty Abbotts' performance was breathtaking, and she rightly won best instrumentalist, so, why not best soloist? It was surely her solos that caught people's attention and not her contribution to the all-round ensemble performance, I should imagine. Nobody would really be able to separate a particular person's performance from an ensemble effort; if it was possible, then why doesn't a 2nd trombone or 1st horn ever win it for their superb ensemble playing?
    2. in deciding upon the recipients of each award, then, following your explanation, I can just (just!) about accept that a best soloist and best instrumentalist might be two different players, but how on God's green Earth can Abbotts not have won best cornet player? Iain Culross must have been a bit bemused to win it.

I don't agree with sharing the prizes out: this is not a kids' sports day. The Yorkshire Areas is arguably the very top level of banding (on a par, perhaps, with the Open) so, there is no need to mollycoddle these players.

18. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I wonder if the situation arose due to different prizes being endowed at different times? I can't imagine that somebody sat down to design that individual prize layout.

If I were running the contest, I'd think about relabelling them as "Best Cornet", "Best Euphonium", and "Best not-a-cornet-or-a-euphonium" (or "Best Trombone", "Best Horn", "Best Bass Section" etc.).

Anyway, it's not of paramount importance (which is probably why it's been allowed to continue in an obviously confusing way).

19. DS2014

DS2014 Active Member

No, doubt it wasn't thought through, and you're right, it is not of paramount importance and won't detract from what was obviously one of the most fascinating contests in years, with three of the big hitters being drawn 1, 2, and 3. Nevertheless, it looks odd and it wouldn't take a rocket-scientist to put it right: simply tell the adjudicators to use their noggins when awarding the individual prizes and not to make a complete **** of themselves by making self-contradictory awards.

20. DS2014

DS2014 Active Member

is a.r.s.e such a bad word?

21. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

The most recent prize donated was for the best principal cornet, and it's the biggest cup awarded - larger even than the cup for first place.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Championship.
    Yorkshire
    surprising result
    long time
    Yorkshire Areas