Most sought after Instruments??

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Charmed, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

As I was checking the classifieds on 4 bars rest, it suddenly struck me that there are a lot of bands who are trying to recruit the same instruments (players). As a horn player I often glance through to see what bands are trying to fill horn positions and realised that this instrument, reason unknown, is not often required. Is this because there are an abundance of horn players in the country? This led me to look statistically at the adverts and the instruments required, results below:

In the last 3 weeks adverts have been placed for the following instruments:

Cornet 51
    Bass 41
    Percussion 26
    Trombone 24
    Euphonium 12
    Baritone 8
    Horn 8
    Soprano 6
    Flugal 4

Taking into account the number of each instrument required per band, I worked out the following:

Bass 10.25
    Percussion 8.6
    Trombone 8
    Euphonium 6
    Soprano 6
    Cornet 5.6
    Baritone 4
    Flugal 4
    Horn 2.6

Do these figures show that basses are the most sought after instrument for bands?

What do you think?
  2. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

You may have a point there. It seems, that a lot of bands in Wales (including ourselves) are looking for Eb or Bb basses - let's hope we find them first!!
  3. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

We've usually found trombones the hardest to get.
  4. Steve

Steve Active Member

Possibly because bass / trom / perc players also have orchestras and wind ensembles to play for so can choose to chop and change as and when work becomes available or they dont want to rehearse twice weekly for a while etc etc Just a though.
  5. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

The difficult instruments to find in my experience are soprano players and bass trombone players. if you are with a lower section band percussionists are near impossible to recruit - Rienzi last year caused problems in the lower sections due to the fact it needed a ridiculous number of percussionists.
  6. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

Yes, the bass is an endangered beast (especially in my house, arf arf)
    The reason no one wants horn players, at the risk of sounding bitter, is that many bands just think they can stick a cornet player in the horn section (on a tenor horn, of course!) and it'll be ok.
    Oo-er that does sound bitter!!!!! ;)

I'll get me coat...
  7. HBB

HBB Active Member

It's true... :(
  8. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Possibly have to agree with you. When we lost our Solo Horn player 3 days before the Pontins contest, our 2nd Man down was moved onto Solo Horn on the Friday (contest Saturday). Now as it was my husband who was given this 'task' I wouldn't say he didn't do a great job, he did, nailed all the solos.

But it did make me feel great anyhow! :oops: :wink:
  9. Melph

Melph Member

I agree with what has been said earlier - Sop and percussionist(s) are definately the ones that are difficult to get.

As for horns - you can normally tell when a cornet player has recently moved to horn as the tone is quite thin.