Most recorded pieces?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Accidental, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

My OH is a wee bit obsessive about collecting band CDs and I've just finished cataloguing them - nearly 3000 tracks on over 230 CDs! We have 4 or 5 versions of loads of different pieces, and 7 versions of four... if you were to guess which pieces had been recorded the most by bands, what would they be? Does anyone know the real answer?!!

and yes, I do know how sad and anoraky this is, I've had a lot of time on my hands lately!! :tongue:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  2. leisa

leisa Active Member

do we get a prize if we guess the correct four??

3. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

I bet it's something really exciting, like, er, um..................The Floral Dance!

4. Accidental

Leisa, if you guess right I'll send you a pound of sausages!!

There's not ONE Floral Dance, shocking! Although I do have the original LP kicking around somewhere..... :oops:

5. The Wherryman

So is the quiz - what is the piece of music of which you have the most versions in your collection?

6. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

Breezing down broadway

7. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Procession to the Minster
    Russlan & Ludmilla
    Force of Destiny
    Carnival Cocktail

8. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Shine as the Light by Peter Graham

9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I was keeping an index of recorded pieces until I changed offices, and found I was unable to download the database to transfer it to my new computer :oops:

I did keep a paper record alongside, and a quick spot check reveals that (up to then) I had 37 various versions of "Carnival of Venice", 16 of Monti's "Czardas", 14 of "Elsa's Procession", 27 of "Londonderry Air" etc. Not sure how many recordings were included (lp, tape & cd) and these figures do not include any SA recordings, that were listed separately.

As for guessing which your "most recorded" are, it's difficult without knowing what sort of recordings you are particularly interested in: if, for example, you avidly collect the European championships cds then there are probably several versions of "Revelation" or "Harmony Music".

One which does appear on a surprising wide range of cds is Peter Graham's "Shine as the Light", and Bill Himes' cornet solo "Jubilance" seemed to be recorded very widely a year or so back.

10. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

'Wouldn't be surprised if at least one of them was by Eric Ball ...

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    OH
    wee bit obsessive
    versions of loads of different pieces
    collecting band CDs
    hands
  12. Accidental

It was more of a general question than a guess what recordings we've got thing, sorry!

That said though, only one of our top 4 (Londonderry Air) has been mentioned so far.....

13. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Same answer still applies, I would think ... :(

14. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

i would hazard a guess at paganini variations??

15. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

David of the White Rock :biggrin:

16. Accidental

Sorry Gareth, I missed your post.
    You're absolutely right, one of our 4 is Journey into Freedom, and I wouldn't be surprised if its near the top of a most recordings ever.... list as well!

17. Hells Bones

Riverdance

18. leisa

leisa Active Member

ARRRRRGH I was gunna say that!!!

19. Hells Bones

Journey into Freedom

20. The Wherryman

Oh, dear! I'm so sorry, I'm usually such a gentleman :oops:

21. leisa

leisa Active Member

Concerto de orange juice, the president.....ermm....procession to the minster/cathedral....william tell....ravenswood.....gaelfoce...windows of the world... pines of rome....pie jesu....ummm ticket to ride.... do i have ANY right?

I want those sausages

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    OH
    wee bit obsessive
    versions of loads of different pieces
    collecting band CDs
    hands