Most decorated player

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Syrup, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Syrup

Syrup Member

Just wondering who the most decorated players are. I started thinking about this last night whilst reading Peter Roberts book, where he mentions the number of contests he has won over the years (he must be up there near the top of the list).

This would be in terms of the combined number of wins they have had in the major contests, i.e. the Nationals, British Open, Cambridge Masters & even the Europeans. Could even split it and have most decorated per contest.

2. The King of Wise

The King of Wise New Member

Derek Jackson must be pretty near the top of the list.
  3. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

or Stuart Derrick and Kev Crockford.
  4. impycornet

impycornet Member

Probably Richard Clough.
  5. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

The former poster on here known as 'Bob Sherunkle'. His avatar was of a 'Pearly King' and I ain't seen anyone as decorated as those! :)
  6. Syrup

Syrup Member

just discovered who impycornet is! shouldn't you be doing your SAS stuff rather than surfing????

see you Friday.
  7. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Trevor Warmsley DFC ( Distinguished Flying Cross ) a real hero .
  8. Bariman

Bariman Member

Having read some other threads, there appear to quite a few tmpers who like to get plastered regularly - or am I missing the point? :-?
  9. impycornet

impycornet Member

well earned day off !! See you Friday
  10. Gavin

Gavin Supporting Member

Hope you enjoyed the Pete Roberts book, by the way we have David Read's book - "Beyond the Box" for sale now also! (

On the subject of most decorated player, it must be Richard Clough. He has won more Europeans than any other player or conductor ever (something like 11 or 12), and he has also won every other major contest several times! I can't remember the exact number of contest wins he has, but I'd be suprised if anyone has won more than him.

Gavin Pritchard
    JAGRINS Music Publications
  11. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I still say David Read's book should have been called 'Judge? Dread!' particularly after the bile spouted in the wake of the Europeans and the Open! :)
  12. Gavin

Gavin Supporting Member

Hello David,

Thanks for your interest in David Read's book.

To the moderators:
    Don't you think this type of inflamitory comment is the type of thing that should be deleted off the forum??

Gavin Pritchard
    JAGRINS Music Publications
  13. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Inflammatory? It was a mild jest. I will certainly be buying the book in due course and indeed I will be buying it from your good selves. The references to the 'bile' were merely jestful remarks based on a number of comments directed at the adjudicators of the contests mentioned, and linked to my 'pseudo' title for Mr Read's book.

I will (a) apologise for any offence caused but at the same time, (b) express my utter astonishment that any offence may have been caused in the first place
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2004
  14. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Yes, I think someone may have grabbed the ****ty end of the stick there! I couldn't find anything offensive there, and I'm oh so delicate ;-)
  15. Syrup

Syrup Member

I did enjoy reading Pete's book, I am from Barnsley myself so know the areas he talks about and also lots of the people mentioned, so can relate to it all. I also know Pete a bit plus I used to be a fellow sop player. I used to play against him in some of the solo contests he mentioned, but never beat him!

Not sure if there are any plans for more books (or if they already exist), but I wouldn't mind reading autobiographies from Kevin Crockford, Jim Shepherd & Geoff Whitham.