Most bands played with

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Masterblaster jnr, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Are you a so called "Banding W***e" and if so, how many bands are/were you a member of at the same time. Also what was the standard range while you were/are with those bands.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Banding W
    standard range
    bands
    time
  3. robcav

robcav Member

I'm not entirely convinced that the term "Banding Whore" is really appropriate for someone who is actually a 'member' of one or more bands and, by extension, therefore, engages in some form of commitment to that/those bands. By virtue of its pejorative connotation, 'whore' suggests someone who is committed to nothing other than procuring as much money as possible by offering their services to as many needy, desperate and often grateful people as possible. I'm sure there are one or two out there and I'm also sure they wouldn't openly admit it.

4. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

In terms of the most bands interacted with in one year, that award surely goes to BBCBass and Dianamite.

5. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

What i was meaning was the title of the thread.

Like going around with lots of different people or bands and how many at that point

6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

For the past twelve months, I've been a member of four bands, although two only meet a few times a year.

7. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Does it have to be just Brass bands?

I'm a regular member of a brass band, function band, Jazz band and Brass Quintet as well as playing fairly regularly with 3 orchestras (as and when I'm free/needed) as well as depping with other bands and orchestras

8. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

I am mainly a trumpet player and so my summer holiday mission this year was to get better at playing the cornet. I decided to go along to rehearsals at two other bands a week to do more playing. So, since July I've kind of been playing with 3 brass bands - Mid Sussex Brass (my original band), Battle Town Band (where I have now transferred for contests) and Uckfield Concert Brass (just an occasional cornet there).

Seems to have worked. According to the MD of Battle, I'm sounding more like a proper cornet player every single week!

9. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

Much respect to those players fortunate enough to be able to play for more than
    one band. As my band benefits from the skills of a couple of players like this I do
    appreciate their commitment to my band. I'd like to be able to return the favour
    in years to come...

Andy

10. I've had a quiet year, only been with...erm...hang on still counting.... 9 bands this year maybe more. Thats what you get for trying to play 2 instruments, I've learnt my lesson now and just sticking to 1 instrument :)

11. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

We quite certainly did (and still do) make the circuit! (I think we had about 30 bands between the two of us that year).

Keep in mind that there are many more wind bands than brass bands in the States, so this is a difficult comparison, but in 2007, we have pulled regular duty with BBC and TBDBITL (our two regular bands) as well as COBB and Chapel Brass and Western Reserve...we have also performed with about 5(+?) bands in the UK as well...so 2+ that we are regular members of...but we got around.

In fact, (whilst our biggest streak of consecutive brass band weekends whilst in the UK numbered about 8 or 9...we did 5 in the U.S. last summer which is quite good, considering the limited opportunities.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Banding W
    standard range
    bands
    time
  13. bertiebass

bertiebass New Member

I find it astonishing that people have time to play for more than one band! One band is enough for me, i rather spend my free time at the boozer!!!

14. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

erm....wanna bet?! I think i'm well up there!

15. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Errm have to agree with that! Give Simon his due, there aren't many bands he hasn't depped with round here!

16. Goldie Horn

Goldie Horn Member

Definitely a clear winner! :clap:

17. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

I have to agree. The one band I play with takes up enough time. 2 rehearsals a week, engagements (especially this time of year).

Then having the time to ensure you can play all the parts, make all the engagements, make all the rehearsals for all of your bands and still work and maintain a life outside bands must be impossible!

I will always help out other bands but could never commit to more than one!

18. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

I think I could win the competition of the least w****ish bandsperson.
    At 17 I've been playing nine years and have played for a total of 3 bands:
    Camborne Youth, Camborne B & Camborne Town.
    Now that's band pride & loyalty for you!