Most Annoying Pet Hates In Banding.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by alibaba, Dec 15, 2008.

1. alibaba

alibaba Member

I am probably opening a can of worms here but:

Is it just my band or do other bands suffer with certain members who really do not 'get' how to look professional when performing to the public.

For instance- my main pet hate that makes my blood boil is:

Handbags on the stage.
    Why?????!!!!!!

Leave them in the blo*dy changing room. Surely for 30mins they can live without them!.

Other pets hates are:
    Pints on stage
    Smoking in front of the audience

and last but not least...
    People who wear their band jackets (not travel uniform) AFTER the concert has finished.
    You see people wearing them in pubs, cars etc.
    They look like scrubbers and the jackets wont last for long.

Rant over!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Annoying Pet Hates In Banding
    RULE 1
    Band
    conductor
    suggestion
  3. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

That's all well and good mate, but last week, at a gig at a major venue, a bunch of people had their valuables nicked from the changing room while they were performing.

There is a thread on it.

I agree with the thing about pints on stage though.
    And wearing stage jackets all the time is up to them, my old band never wore them unless on stage or out for Whit Friday.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  4. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

I hate scruffyness. Petty to alot of people I know, but If I had my way all players would wear cuff linked shirts, they look much smarter.

5. alibaba

alibaba Member

Oops.

Sorry mate. Hadn't read that thead before posting here.
    Hope it hasn't come across as insensitive.

My main problem with the handbag brigade is that they usually come with family members / friends who sit in the audience. Surely they could leave valuables with them?

6. Di B

Di B Member

I take my handbag on stage if needed and if there isnt anyone I can leave it with. Sorry, but thats the way it is!

My pet hate is banding snobbery. We are all players and should all help each other. Just because you might be a better player than someone doesnt make you a better person! Treat everyone with respect and courtesy (unless they are rude to you!)

7. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Sounds like your band could do wth reviewing (and agreeing!) some rules or 'best practice' alibaba - if these things really bug you, do something about it ;)

My pet hate is seeing so many bands chatting amongst themselves between pieces, ignoring the audience, and not bothering to smile when they take applause... a bit of respect for the people who've paid to be there goes a long way!

8. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Oh, and I think the handbag thing looks awul too - we don't even have our music pads on stage.

My bag either gets stashed in my case (if the room is secure or visible from stage) or left with someone in the audience. I can't remember the last time I did a gig or concert with ANY band where there wasn't at least one non-player who could look after bags and valuables, so I really don't think there's any excuse for taking them on stage. Sorry girls!

9. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

I am going to agree with you for the second time today! lol

Well said :clap:

10. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

I hate banding snobbery too, and bands that openly slag other bands off in front of everyone.

I think there are a lot of people who have misconceptions about what is right and what isn't in banding.

I was once told to stop playing (I was warming up) before a gig because it was unprofessional.

That was the most ridiculous thing I had ever heard.

11. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Annoying Pet Hates In Banding
    RULE 1
    Band
    conductor
    suggestion
  13. Di B

Di B Member

Ok so if you were helping a band that you didnt know out and there was nowhere secure behind stage and no pockets in the band jackets what should be done? Please share!

14. Di B

Di B Member

I'm in a 'tell it as it is' mood today. Band will be fun tonight! :)

15. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

I don't like pads on stage, it looks like the programme hasn't been decided beforehand and the pads are there just in case.

I also don't like band members talking amongst themselves on stage...looks rubbish....although sometimes its unavoidable.

As for banding snobbery - people who think that because they can play stuff better than everyone else (which is usually a bone of contention anyway I find lol!) means that their opinions are more valid than everyone else's - well I generally just ignore everything they have to say lol!

16. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

People who stand about talking to each other when the conductor is waiting to start practise

17. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I've had that. It didn't end well.

18. Clyde Slider

Clyde Slider Member

In my first band, we were always told to look like we knew what we were doing, even if we didn't!! There were rules about conduct and appearance, which applied to all players - never mind the fact that we were a fourth section, non-contesting band, we all tried to uphold the traditions of banding and bandspeople. Apart from chairs, music stands and trombone stands, nothing was put on the floor; entry to the stage was made in order, stand when the conductor came on; all these things can greatly enhance our image to the public, and it saddens (not to say annoys!!) me when I watch bands in concerts or contests who are sloppy and seemingly uncaring about how they appear. End of whinge, looking forward to carolling (outside) this evening, fingers crossed for fair weather and an audience!!

19. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

my biggest pet hate is people playing in rehearsal when the conductor is speaking.
    ignorant in my opinion !
    pints on stage is a big no no for me too.
    you can make up for it afterwards ! (and i ususally do)

20. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

almost forgot ....
    during church services there is usually opening prayers...
    one or two people have a habit of rustling music, emptying water, pulling slides, etc. during this.
    Grrrrrrrrr !

21. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

My pet hate is when our conductor stops the band during rehearsal,certain members of the band start talking instead of listening to what he/she has to say.Then ask where are we going from etc.if they weren't talking they would know.
    I am an ex military band player and never did say anything until spoken to.
    Band discipline is,in many bands lacking.I know that it is hard not to talk during practice,but i get annoyed when it is every week.
    What i would like to say is;if you want your band to be and look professional,it starts in the bandroom.

22. cornetsquint

cornetsquint Member

Couple of things that irritate me are, in practices, when the conductor stops in the middle of a piece, some people carry on playing, and the other is when some players think that they know better than the conductor.