Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by DublinBass, Apr 16, 2007.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

How does one spell the abbreviation for mosquito

2. Alan MacRae

Alan MacRae Member

3. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

4. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

Yep I'm with Sam :clap:

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Same here ;)
  6. Lewis Chris

Lewis Chris Member

I'd agree with you too, but my gran would argue we're not American therefore it's mossie not mozzie. Bless 'er!!!
  7. andyp

andyp Active Member

Yup - mozzies round this way!
  8. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Argh! *&%k off you nasty whining little b*****d!
    That's what I call them anyway. Not exactly short, but it releives the feelings.
  9. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Mozzies or gnats

I always thought midges were the annoying little ones that don't bite you but hang around in swarms and get in your eyes/nose/ears and make you itch when they land on you?
  10. Alan MacRae

Alan MacRae Member

Go to Scotland, anywhere near water, anytime from June to September and say that again :p

[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Google "scottish midge" and see what you can find. I found this great quote:

"The Scottish midge is tiny. It’s only a couple of millimetres in length but pound for pound, it is probably the most formidable and aggressive life form on the planet."[/SIZE][/FONT]
  11. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Probably the same as the ones down here, I just dont seem to ever get bitten! Probably something to do with the high blood level in my alcohol and that I make sure I've had garlic whenever I go fishing, apparantly they don't like it!
  12. DublinBass

Don't you guys call the long legged spiders mozzies too? or is there some other nickname?
  13. bigmamabadger

No we just call them ****** big spiders...

I read somewhere that if you get bitten lots you're less likely to get malaria, whereas if you're one of the luckys *******s who rarely gets bitten, the malaria will get you. Hah!
  14. HBB

HBB Active Member

aren't they daddy-long-legs-es?
  15. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

16. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

....and what a pain in the butt they are:mad: :mad: ...completely ruined my lawn with their larvae this year
  17. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I think a single mosquito is a mozzy - I applaud the zz in this case because it is a buzzing sound and two or more mosquitos are mozzies. In any case, I believe the z in realize (for example) is actually correct English usage, though no one I know uses it.

My mum, as I may have already said, was a cook par excellence and used to occasionally serve deep-fried cranefly in with the chips during the long hot summers of yesteryear ;)

I don't think I have ever heard a nickname for the harvestmen. Just screams from all the horn players who spot one ;)
  18. DublinBass

Thanks read my mind. I taught my biology students the importance of scientific names today using Daddy-Long-Legs as an example....cranefly in the UK, spider in the US!!
  19. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

One mozzy is a Mosquito, the plural of which is 633 squadron I think.
  20. bigmamabadger

To ****** right mate. I was once expounding on the evilness of spiders at band practice, to which a bass player replied "you mean like that big one under your chair?"
    It is true, humans can fly. At least across a bandroom anyway.