Morris Dancers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by brassneck, May 5, 2005.

1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Are Morris Dancers going mad in your area during this month? Well, it is May and traditionally they tinkle their bells and hit each other with flowers or whatever to the sound of music in the air around maypoles. Do any local bands encourage their spring fever? I'm just rather curious at this moment about this age-old tradition. ;)
  2. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Do we have to talk about morris dancers???

My dear papa is a morris dancer :oops: !!

And yes your right they do start their 'season' in May this tuesday just gone to be precise (being the first in may!) they have abandoned their usual indoor practice for outdoor dancing at various public houses around the local area, I am convinced they do it for the ale and free food only!
    There are quite a few morris dancer groups round here and they do tend to have mass dances every so often during the season!
    Also just remember that the "London Pride" Morris Dancers were on the paul o'grady show the other night aswell, and paul joined in!!
  3. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

The reason they are out in force is due to the election. Didn't you know that Morris dancing is the hobby of 84% of Liberal Democrats.
    Other interesting facts about the liberals are that the vast majority of them are Geography teachers, have ginger beards and wear coudroy jackets with leather elbow patches.
    And I can assure you that the madness you describe is not at all seasonal ;)
  4. meandmycornet

erm don't know of any of my dad morris dancing buddys who are geography teachers, there is a retired primary school teacher, a dispensing chemist, psychiatric nurse (dad) another psychiatric nurse, a tree surgeon, and loads of other weird and wonderful jobs!

and as for ginger beards, the ones who have beards are grey cos there old and washed out :tongue:
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

.... you oughta feel quite proud that your dad keeps up this fine tradition! (... I think). Not everybody chooses this route of entertainment. Did he do it out of choice or is it handed down your generations? You must have joined in a few times when you were younger ... ;)
  6. rutty

rutty Active Member

Just because 84% of Lib Dems are Morris dancers doesn't mean that all Morris Dancers are Lib Dems, geography teachers or have ginger beards, though I bet that there are a few facial adornments on display in your Dad's group? ;)
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

8. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

You can't be a proper morris dancer without a ginger beard. :eek: Its permissible for a little grey to show though - but a fully grey beard just shows that they are not drinking enough scrumpy.
  9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Just wondering about the 'London Pride' dancers on the Paul Grady show .... is the brewer their sponsor? :guiness
  10. meandmycornet

PROUD??? I should feel proud of my dad for him making a complete prat of himself in public every week during the summer??? errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr NO I don't think so!! He actually did out of choice (nobody else in my family is stupid enough!!), he saw them practicing in his running club and decided to 'have a try' he's still trying now he's got to left feet and no rhythm :tongue: and NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO I have never ever ever ever ever ever ever joined in for one thing I wouldn't actually want to and secondly I wouldn't be allowed his (what do you call a group of morris dancers?? a troop??) 'lot' are traditionalists women aren't allowed in!!
  11. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

sounds like a brass band, not so long ago...
  12. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

I LIKE MORRIS DANCING! It's traditional, innit? Like warm beer, marmite, wet bank holidays, cold sea. All things that have made England the proud country she is today.:tongue:

13. meandmycornet

yeah that maybe true, but not when one of them is your dad making a complete prat of himself :tongue: