Mornington Crescent

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by picju96, Oct 28, 2003.

1. picju96

picju96 Member

How about a game of Mornington Crescent then guys?

Which rule set shall we use Dave?

I'll start at Euston Road

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I'm afraid you'll have to play by Transport for London's rules, as parts of the Northern line are still closed following the recent accident :wink: :lol: :lol:
  3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Which means those wishing to travel to Goodge Street will find themselves in spoon.

I think for the benefit of non Londoners here, we should open this up to not so much Underground stations, but UK brass bands and rename it from Mornington Crescent to Rigid Containers. I'll start with a popular opening gambit, Grimethorpe RJB.
  4. asteria

asteria Member

Hehe, i was at Euston Road on friday, what a coincidinc!

Surely the only sensible route would be to head for tottenham court road to avoid triangulation by using the central line.
    Next move...
  5. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Can someone explain this rather quaint game!?!

Rothwell Temps
  6. T-Horn

T-Horn Member

Sorry to not be with the times, But how the hell do you play this game.!! Does someone wanna explain the rules.
    Excuse the ignorance, I'm from Wales. We stick to
    :oops: :( :lol:
  7. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

as i remember it the rules are made up as you go along, but you move from station to station around the london underground. A knowledge of which lines each station is on helps. (Which is why I don't involve myself!)
  8. asteria

asteria Member

There's quite a few rules, the main aim of the game is to get to Mornington Crescent before anyone else does.

The best thing is to is go on a search engine and do a search on mornington crescent, there's loads of sites with rules on. Follow the moves on an underground map and you should get the hang of the basic rules fairly quickly.
  9. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Are we playing according to Pillinger's Theorem? If so, you obviously can't start at Euston, unless diagonals are played in recessive form.

10. T-Horn

T-Horn Member

Cheers Guys. I might stay out of this one and watch the professionals in action!!! 8)
  11. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Best guide out there is the Mornington Crescent Almanac 2002. It explains absolutely eveything in an erudite and lucid fashion.

12. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

finding rules for this game is not so easy!

On which basis I will therefore declare a Lambeth Variation and head for St. Pauls
  13. asteria

asteria Member

I've loved the game since i was little, my grandad taught me all the rules, he played it loads and even got through to the finals in regional heats sometime in the 70s.

Good point David, but doesn't Pillinger's theorem only apply when all the district line stations are wild?
  14. Daniel Sheard

Daniel Sheard Member

No, not when it's Greenwich Mean Time.

Turnham Green
  15. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I just managed to win a game against my computer, and have no idea how!
  16. Straightmute

Arnos Grove

17. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Why? What colour are they at the moment :?: :wink: :lol:

18. Daniel Sheard

Daniel Sheard Member

Oooh, crossed postings.

Anyway, Peter, you can't have Hammersmith after Turnham Green unless the Wimbledon convention is being followed. And nobody follows the Wimbledon convention these days. So 1990s!

19. Straightmute

Exactly. Arnos Grove is the way out of this, as I indicated above...

20. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Is anyone else completely lost?

emm... Clontarf Road!