morning playing

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Jam spoon, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Jam spoon

Jam spoon New Member

Could anybody give me some tips on how to tackle my rubbish lip when I play in the morning?
    I have been playing the cornet for quite some time now but have always had trouble getting my lip to buzz when I play above a top E. Could it be that I am just not used to playing first thing?
    If anybody could tell me any particular warm ups, or what I can practise to help me with this problem I would be really grateful.
  2. LilMissFlugel

LilMissFlugel Member

My uncle always says that a for breakfast a steamed sponge pudding with custard helps with playing in the morning, not sure if it works though because i don't like the taste. May not seem like a very helpfull suggestion but it's supposed to work :S

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  3. jerseylugs

jerseylugs New Member

If you're anything like most of the players I know, (including Me).
    Try not having twenty pints the night before !!
  4. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Perhaps the morning is too early!?!?!??
  5. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Try some mouthpiece buzzing followed by long notes...

Get Vizzutti book 1 and look at the warm up exercises in there...
  6. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Dare I say it, get up earlier and give your body chance to wake up. Buzz your lips to get the blood flowing. Avoid spicy foods and especially garlic the night before.

Oh and the not drinking 20 pints the night before is pretty good advice too;)
  7. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

Is playing in the morning a new thing for you? If it is I would stick with it for a number of weeks before worrying too much about any minor issues you are having.

The key is consistency and planning. Have a consistent routine that works on your weaknesses and try to get better today than you were yesterday.

When I was practising heavily I would always get up very early to do it - IMO the morning is when the mind and body are freshest and therefore best placed to learn - leave your practice until after school/work and the pressures and length of the day are not always conducive to good practice.

Remember - some days you will sound/feel better than others. The important thing is to increase those number of days when you feel good.

As for range - don't worry. If you're at E now make your goal in the next couple of weeks to play a strong F, when you're done there move to F# before you know it you will have a great range.

A final thought on range. How many bottom C's have you played? Probably thousands. How many Top C's have you tried to play? A few? Maybe a hundred? Try a few thousand and you'll get better at them.
  8. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I remember some (!) years ago having a conversation with Paul Cosh on this subject. His solution was quite simple: get up earlier.

IOW, let's say for example you normally get up at, say 8:00am, and struggle to play before 12:00noon, but you have to play a contest at 10:00am, so get up at 6:00am instead, so that by 10:00am your body thinks it's 12:00 noon, because you've been up for four hours.

Fortunately it's not something I have to do very often, but it does work (at least for me). I can imagine it might get a bit extreme for pro players with regular 8:00am recording sessions though ...

(Oh, and BTW I'm with David Quinlan on this: one simply cannot overstate the importance of the warm-up!)
  9. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Sorry, crossed over with a few people there ...
  10. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

At college we are told to blow our first notes of the day as early as possible.

Literally long held notes. Nothing high or low, nothing fancy.

Just full and solid long notes.
  11. tubaloopy

tubaloopy Member

Somebody must have TOLD you this advice.
    You CANNOT have found this out for yourself.
  12. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Hey, this is don't do as I do, do as I say time!

Then again, I don't know for certain yet whether not having ale the night before works, I've never tried it:biggrin:
  13. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

Morningitis is what I call it! We have just had two delightful weekends of practising (9am to 4pm each day, with breaks!) and I found that I only started warming up around midday!
    I was in a solo contest a few weeks back and I was playing around 9.15 am on SUNDAY! :eek: My lips were awful! Later on in the day they got much better.

I guess it takes time to wake everything up including the lips. I think people have already made some suggestions. Start long and low in the morning. Maybe try playing middle G (the one on the second line on the treble clef stave) and below. Pedal notes are great for getting the lips buzzing too, and very satisfying! It does make your face tingle though!:biggrin:
  14. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

I find that to. Good advice. Pedal notes are the thing to play and, yes the feeling is not bad at all! Sustained notes are always a good pointer for warm ups. The Long notes going up the scale and chordal and scalic excerices. Sounds dull, but are'nt all dull things are some of the most important jobs that need to be done?
  15. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Don't underestimate the effects of eating and gassing over the course of the day - the longer you've been up, the more you've used your mouth & face muscles and started warming everything up.
    I remember one old conductor telling everyone to make sure they ate something that needed lots of chewing for breakfast before early draws.
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  16. bennem

bennem Member

Touthpaste, mouthwash and if you're a bloke shaving all make your lips swell. So clean your teeth as early as you can before playing and lay off the mouthwash and shaving (unless you're going to be judged on deportment).
  17. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Interesting, I prefer the feel of a freshly shaved lip myself.
  18. Ginge

Ginge Member

I used to be pathetic in the morning! Really struggled to get much out at all.
    I've got used to it now though, as i play in the morning all the time.
    I found that stretching all the muscles around the mouth help. Opening your mouth as wide as possible and moving all the muscles seems to help me anyway.
  19. MCPC

MCPC New Member

Only way I can manage the dreaded Last Post on Remembrance Sunday is to abandon my usual warm up exercises half way through and then play pedal notes - for as long as I can, after making sure have proper breakfast, which of course means getting up earlier too! :wink: