Morley March & Hymn Tune Competition

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by geoff. fowler, May 29, 2007.

1. geoff. fowler

geoff. fowler New Member

I am pleased to announce a new competition to add to the brass band contest calendar
    The competition is The Morley March & Hymn Tune Contest and is to take place on Sunday 8th July 2007 in the lovely town of Morley, West Yorkshire commencing at 2.00 p.m.

The format of this event is based on similar contests that are to be held at Brighouse (1st July) & Old Silkstone (14th July)
    Each band will perform a short march along the pedestrianised Queen Street towards the town hall, followed by a contest march and hymn tune to be played in the band arena outside the town hall.
    All proceeds from this event are for Lions Charities.
    The contest is supported by Morley Lions and the Morley Entertainments Committee plus other sponsors and is open to all bands from Championship down to Youth. If you would like to participate in what should be a great day we invite entries now to the contest secretary Mr Fowler. We still have capacity to take more bands. There is a prize fund in excess of £1500 which includes a first prize of £500.
  2. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

Great news to hear this. I have some friends who live in Morley. My friend is a brass player but doesn't have that much experience in brass bands, he is more orchestral based. I did get him to play in a band for a while so he got the bug! Hopefully I get them to come and watch this event and back into banding!
  3. postie

postie Member

Yes I am sure John will come and watch. I hope the contest is a great success and becomes a regular event on the calendar.
  4. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunately due to prior commitments we were unable to compete at this this year, but hopefully next year we'll be able to be there.

Good luck to the organisers and all who compete, lets hope it's every bit a success.
  5. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I think it's a brilliant Idea. There's not enough brass band happenings over Leeds way, (Give or take the concerts at yeadon and morley town halls, and the odd one at leeds Town hall) so having a proper contest in Morley can only be a good thing.

We looked at going this year, but decided against it - although if I can sneak away from any other non-banding commitments I'll defo be down for a listen.
  6. geoff. fowler

geoff. fowler New Member

cheers Andy, pity the band couldn't come
    maybe next year
  7. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

If any bands need an EEb bass (Myself) or baritone (Diana), feel free to pm me.
  8. Thirteen Ball

Indeed! I shall certainly reccomend it to the co-op posse.
  9. geoff. fowler

geoff. fowler New Member

Morley March & Hymn Tune Contest

It would be great to have a few more entries for our first contest in Morley
    on July 8th
    Cut off time approaches, but you still have time
    Contact geoff on;
    or tel 0113 253 0719
  10. Tracey

Tracey Member

Old Silkstone Band are looking forward to entering this year as well as the 'B' Band.

Hope its a great success and all the hard work is well worth it (speaking from experience)

Who else has entered?
  11. brass journo

brass journo Member

Idiot! we would go but have a massive job for our sponsors in The Lowry, Salford that day - you ain't escaping from that!

Sorry Geoff - we'd love to be there otherwise - put us down for next year though and just send the forms when you do them! Do you have a provisional date and i'll put it in the diary now. Always good to find jobs on the doorstep for our Leeds continghent!

12. Thirteen Ball

I knew there was a reason we weren't doing it...... ;)
  13. geoff. fowler

geoff. fowler New Member

Thanks to everyone for your comments and support
    We have now reached the deadline for entries and I can confirm that there are 14 bands entered. A mixture from Youth to Championship.
    The contest for next year will be on Sunday 13th July. Make a note in your diaries
  14. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Don't you mean Sunday 8th Geoff? ;)
  15. kiwis

kiwis New Member

hiya which bands are lined up to pay

looking forward to going to watch and where is it?????? apart from Morley of course
  16. kiwis

kiwis New Member

ignore where is it just seen that!!! blonde what can i say

but who is playing!!!
  17. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

Excellent - didn't know about this and it's just down the road from me - I'll be popping over to watch as a spectator. :)

Any news on participating bands? :D
  18. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Marsden are there. :p
    Looking forward to it.
  19. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I'll probably be there listening now. Not taking part so may as well view it from a spectators point of view for once! :rolleyes:
  20. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

Excellent, look forward to seeing a stonking performance from you all, with the dynamic Glyn! :cool: It'll be nice to be a spectator and watch, instead of play. :biggrin: