more PC help

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by super_sop, May 22, 2007.

1. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

NOOOOooooo not the police constable type, the personal computer type!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

I'm currently sat in my nice new conservatory surfing the web and listening to a few tracks i have stored on my desk top pc.

What i would really like is to be able to do this with my laptop.
    my laptop has a wireless conection but the desk top doesn't so i have to have a lead running from one to the other at the mo.

Can i get a piece of kit that turns my desk top wireless, so i can connect to it with out any leads?????:confused::confused::confused:

Confuzzled of Telford:redface:

2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hey Craig

When you say 'a lead from one to the other'... what exactly do you mean? If you are on Broadband, and you have wifi, then I assume you have a broadband router?

If so, then there are two things you can do here...

1 - purchase a USB wireless adapter for your desktop - which will allow you to access the net on your desktop wirelessly
    2 - Connect the desktop to the router via an ethernet cable - which will allow an always on connection from your desktop to the net

Can you describe your setup in more detail please mate...?

3. super_sop

Hi John.
    My main pc is in the front room and is linked to my broadband modem with a usb conection.

I've set up a network on the desktop so that i can access everthing on there via an ethernet cable to my laptop.
    is there a way to do the same but without the cable possibly option 1????:confused:

4. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

There's not that much to it (though it was my housemates dad that set it up for us) Basically we bought a wireless router, which plugged in between the broadband modem and my computer. Basically any computer with wireless capabilities can use the internet in the house.

Ours was encrypted so only people with the password could access the network - it stops the neighbours getting free broadband!

5. .... and pervs (parked in your street) accessing naughty sites and downloading, for which you could get the blame for....

6. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I take it your broadband modem, being USB attached, is suppled by one of the main ISP's guessing BT or NTL/Telewest/Virgin. These are basically rubbish but lets not get into that. Unless you know what you're doing, or know someone who does, do not go down the route of changing this.

What you need is a wireless-G USB adapter for the desktop PC. You can then set up and ad-hoc compter-compter connection via wireless rather like yo've done with a cable at present.

7. TheMusicMan

Nothing rubbish about NTL (now Virgin Media) John...!! Have been with them for 7 years with minimal trouble, and have a Netgear router fed from the Broadband modem, feeding a secure network of up to 7 PC's with no issues.

Curious as to why you say that...?

8. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I was referring to the practice of using a USB connected modem rather than a router.

9. Di

Di Active Member

We switched to Virgin last year and for a while it was great. Nowadays the speed of our connection seems related to how long it is since we last phoned up and complained! It'll gradually almost grind to a halt. We call them up and tell them, then hey presto, we get super speed again. :rolleyes:

10. super_sop

thanks for the help folks.
    can anybody recomend a usb adaptor there seem to be alot of them about!!

p.s i'm on virgin and have no probs

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    John
    yoda
    johnmartin
    practice of using internet connection
    comms difficulties John
  12. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Aha, thanks for that John, I understand now - sorry for my misinterpretation.
    Hey Craig - you need to buy 2 things here for your most effective setup.

Broadband Router - I have one of these

USB WiFi adapter: I have used one of these

Then... connect your Virgin Media Broadband Modem to the Broadband Router, connect the LinkSys USB WiFi device into a spare slot on your PC, and hey presto.

You should then be all set.

13. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Now I'm confused....I thought that the misinterpretation was from Mr Burns? :confused::confused:

14. super_sop

that had to be sal typing that!!! it was far too technical for Mr Thorne!!!:biggrin:

15. TheMusicMan

It was meeeeeee....

I know what happened!!! At WSM on Sunday Mr Thorne was logged into tMP on my laptop... I hadn't used my laptop until last night which was obviously set as 'cookie remembered' so when I visited tMP it was still logged in as RT!!

I didn't notice that at all, except when I did 'new posts' this morning on my Mac and saw that RT had made a technical post in here when I knew I had made that post!!!

Sorry for the confusion...

16. super_sop

:biggrin:

17. TheMusicMan

So Craig... are you going to purchase any kit...?

18. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Seeing as the router does not have a USB input you are assuming that the modem has a network adapter. Not all have. I don't know enough about the particular modem being used here to be able to advise. Assuming it has an RJ-45 network port then it should be possible to attach it to a wireless router to acheive the best setup.

Super_sop, you mentioned that you use the internet on the laptop. Seeing as you don't have a wireless router I am assuming that you have internet connection sharing set up on the desktop and the laptop accesses the web through that. Using a router would enable you to do away with that complicated setup and have both machines access the web through the network.

19. TheMusicMan

... "do away with that complicated setup"... baloney John...;)

Broadband Modem > Broadband Router > Equipment

(Modem and Router could be same device)

Standard setup for 99.999999% of all networks I have ever come across.

20. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

You and I seem to be having some comms difficulties John :)

I was referring to the practice of using internet connection sharing rather than what you have outlined above.

<yoda>Error in my grammar there is mmm.</yoda>

21. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I assume the OP has a USB broadband modem of the type supplied by BT, Tiscali et al. If so, they don't usually come with an RJ45, so you can't connect a router to them. This I discovered to my cost when I tried to do precisely the same thing at home.

The best solution, imho, is to do away with the USB modem and replace it with a wireless modem router like this one (Netgear are my fave, although there are others). You then connect your PC to it with a network cable, and you can set up a home wireless network for your laptop.

I actually needed to move my desktop PC after I'd done this, and being too lazy to reroute phone cables I just bought a wireless network card for the PC, so my whole setup is wireless now.

The only note of caution I'd sound is that you need to be vaguely familiar with basic networking for this to be truly easy.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    John
    yoda
    johnmartin
    practice of using internet connection
    comms difficulties John