More miles on the clock at eyms

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by eymsbrassband, Jan 11, 2013.

1. eymsbrassband

eymsbrassband Member

MILES Davison, the former Black Dyke and Desford Colliery star, has joined the East Yorkshire Motor Services Band on solo horn.
    He joins the Hull-based band in time for its appearance at the much-anticipated first big competition of the new year, the Butlins Mineworkers Championship in Skegness on January 19-20.
    Miles, embarking on his third spell with the North of England band, also beefs up the horn section ahead of its ambition to qualify for the National Finals for the sixth time in the last eight years.
    The Grimsby-born musician and conductor is back playing again for the first time since 2010, when he joined Desford’s assault on the British Open.
    Miles will have happy memories on his return to Skegness as, in the same year he won the prestigious Geoff Dove Solo Award, playing the Strauss Rondo.
    He is the second top-class ‘corner man’ to be attracted to EYMS in the space of four months, the former YBS and Williams Fairey soprano cornet player Kevin Donaldson having joined last October.
    Miles applied for the vacancy at EYMS after work commitments forced the departure of first horn Anita Morrison, the wife of musical director Alan Morrison.
    Miles said: “I felt the time was right to resume my playing career and it was great to have such a fine band as EYMS right on my doorstep.
    “It’s good to be back with an ambitious yet friendly bunch of players and I’m looking forward to getting back in the groove.”
    Alison Grantham moves to first horn, with Garry Oglesby on second horn.
    EYMS chairman Tony Newiss said: “With Anita’s work commitments changing from January 1[SUP]st[/SUP], she was concerned her new hours would cause problems with her attendance and she asked us to try to find a replacement.
    “We were delighted when Miles applied to join and after discussions a reshuffle in the horn section now sees us with Miles, Alison and Garry.
    “I would like to publicly thank Anita for her contribution over the last two years and Alison for her commitment and performances on solo horn since 2005.”
    Miles began playing aged 11 with Lanner & District Silver Band and, on moving back north, joined Grimsby Band on euphonium, later switching to principal horn with Brodsworth Colliery.
    He moved to the principal horn chair at Desford Colliery Dowty in 1988 and enjoyed memorable victories, including a hat-trick of National titles in 1988, 1989 and 1990.
    During his time at Coalville, Miles was also involved with Desford’s own fab four which won the British Open Quartet Championships two years in succession.
    He had a spell with the James Shepherd Versatile Brass before being invited to play principal horn with Black Dyke in 1993, and has also taught at the Royal Northern College of Music in Manchester.
    Miles was part of successful Dyke and Desford reigns master-minded by James Watson and featured on recordings by both bands.
    He also has several years of conducting under his belt, including a trip to New Zealand to train the St Kilda Band of Dunedin, who became National Champions in 1991.
    His baton charges in the UK include Stannington, Stocksbridge, South Milford, Barrow Concert, Grimsby and Aunt Bessies.
    For more news and information about the EYMS Band, including the current list of engagements for the year, please go to eymsbrassband.co.uk