More Internet Radio - how?

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by KMJ Recordings, Mar 19, 2007.

?

Internet Radio & CD Recordings

1. Yes, it's a great idea as it stands (depending on fees)

55.6%
  2. No, I don't think our Band would be interested

33.3%
  3. Possibly - I've outlined a modification below

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I've got an even better idea! (see below)

11.1%
  1. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Further to Anthony (Scooby) Longden's post on a new internet radio station with brass band contest (see here), we're looking for ways to progress the programming such that it allows for new recordings for the station. Such recordings may be targetting Bands who either haven't recorded CDs, potentially can't afford to invest in a full blown recording session or Bands who want to record some fresh material.

Rather than try and get a poll added to Anthony's post, I thought it easier to start a new post outlining one possible idea for comment. Feel free either to post here or on Anthony's original (it's his baby - this is just a proposal for how things could possibly be done):

1) Use a centralised venue over a weekend
    2) Get 4 to 6 Bands for sessions
    3) Record each Band for 2-3 hours, with a view to generating 20-30 minutes of material (obviously, given the time limited session, it'll be very much like recording a LttB)
    4) Provide each Band with a number of CDs containing the Programme material in jewel cases with printed CDs / booklet / traycard for sale at concerts - the programme should be selected according the criteria for the limited availability licence.

Doing this achieves several things - it get's your Band publicity, it gets your Band saleable CDs (although they're short so you'd have a limited selling price of £4 or £5 I'd guess), the Radio Station gets fresh material....

Obviously these things can't be done for free, but there's a possibility of scaleable charges for what your individual Band would require.

Can you vote using the poll to let us know what you think - is it viable? Is it a silly idea? What would you change? Is it a service that your Band would be interested in?

Cheers,
    Keith

2. timbloke

timbloke Member

How about combining it with one of the band club seasons, i.e rather than recording material just for recording it, why not record a series of band club concerts - such as Stocksbridge, Glossop etc. or even better, the Kippax band contest/club series - where you can report on the competing side of it. That way you get a concert programme played at a high standard. If you wanted something of a higher recording quality (i.e. not a "live" performance) you could open the club up earlier in the day and allow the bands to get there earlier to have a bit of a warm up/recording session. It may also help improve the standard of the band for the evening club concert (having spent time familiarising themselves with the venue).

3. KMJ Recordings

I wouldn't expect people to be unprepared for a Listen to the Band session, Tim - the whole point would be to generate a marketable and saleable product so I'd expect it to be performed to a high standard. LttB is surely 'recording material for recording it', is it not?

The concert series recording is a good idea - I'll add it to the list. Cheers.

4. timbloke

timbloke Member

Agreed, you would expect bands to probably be more prepared for a recording session than a concert, I was thinking more that by combining the two (a recording and concert) you get the benefit of rehearsing once for them both - and as likely the quality of the concert will be higher and attract more audience.

5. KMJ Recordings

Yep - certainly worth thinking about.

I'm not familiar with the Stocksbridge Band Club but I am with, say, Glossop's. Whilst we could probably get away with it, it wouldn't be ideal - particularly if you're looking at the CD aspect of it as well.

6. KMJ Recordings

Gosh....resounding result there!

:rolleyes:

Guess I'd better think of something different :oops: